Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have your child place in special ed or homeschool your child?

If your child is having problems with school work and the school wants them to be placed in special ed what would you do? Home school or special ed and why?

Answer Question

Asked by MsPhyllis1985 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 15 (2,024 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I would say special education because the teachers are trained and educated to teach that student

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • special ed- if its needed, if they need the extra help im not sure i could offer it.

    Answer by raisingmen at 1:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Sure, If they needed the extra help, I would never stop them from getting it. I'm dyslexic, my mom fought for years to get me extra help, and the school refused... I had a lot of trouble with testing and such, even through I knew the material many times, I simply couldn't understand the tests - so I flunked... I wouldn't want to put my kids through that too... If they needed the extra help, I would make sure they got it.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • It would depend on the cause of the problem and how well-equipped I felt myself to handle it. If it was just a matter of the child having problems focusing or needing more one-on-one attention, I'd probably homeschool. If it was more than that, and the child had some kind of developmental or learning disorder, I would probably put them in special ed because the school should have more resources to help kids like that than I would myself, like referrals and therapy, etc.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • thanks for answering ladies... I'm having such a hard time with this because the problem is my son is having trouble with his reading and my thing is why place him in special ed if he is just having trouble with reading

    Comment by MsPhyllis1985 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Trouble with reading is the main reason for kids to receive services. If he is struggle in readying by 3rd or 4th grade it will prevent him from excelling in all the other subjects because he needs to be able to read to keep up in everything at that point. Do they want to put him in a full time program, or get him help for part of the day? It would be pretty unusual nowadays to place a child directly into a self contained class unless they are severely behind.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • To address the idea of homeschooling very honestly, as an ESE teacher kids with learning issues who are put back in school after being home schooled have usually regressed. Students with learning disabilities are placed in programs to get help from teachers with specialized training above and beyond what a general education teacher has. It would be extremely time consuming and laborious for a parent to research all the strategies and techniques that are effective for different types of learners. It could be done, but it would take an immense amount of time and dedication.

    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I would place them in the special ed class, Because special ed is not as bad as it sounds it actually will help your child significantly i think, Don't think that it is because of your child, every child has different type of issues with learning and the special ed class will help your child by pin pointing their learning disability and teach ways to learn the are helpful and easy for him/her. I honestly was in special ed classes in high school because I have adhd. I am not 26 with 2 kids. I believe my youngest has adhd but isn't diagnoised. Good luck and I hope my response helped you

    Answer by toriturtle at 11:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Depends on what 'Special Ed' programs are available in your area/school. My friend's son was put into SE classes due to behavior problems (physical violence) that the school was having with him. I would babysit him and see none of the problems that the school was having. My DD is two years younger than him and when she graduated from cyberschool (Connections Academy) she was reading. When friend's son finished first grade, he couldn't read a single word! The school passed him on to second! My friend took him out and put him in CA this year, CA has him repeating first and he can now read books! There are some great Special Ed programs out there, but if you're not blessed with one who better to teach your child than the one who knows him best?

    Answer by unicornnymph22 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • Your child cannot just be placed in SPED. He/she has to go through RTI first. It honestly is a long process. Have tests, interventions, and observations already been performed?


    Answer by KairisMama at 12:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.