Thinking about breeding my Golden male...any advice?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• If you have never done it before-EDUCATE yourself. And it would be most helpful to have a breeder who's done it numerous times to oversee it. My father is a licensed dog breeder and its his proffession. There are a lot of things that can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing. Do you know what to do if the labor is stalling? Do you know what the mom dog should be eating/taking? Do you know what to do if a puppy is born still in the sac? Do you knowhow long gestation is? How long labor is? If you are planning to sell the pups, do you know how to pick a good canidate?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why?
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yeah, unless you're a reputable breeder, I'd say don't do it.... There are way too many unwanted dogs out there as it is. I'm not a fan of breeders as it is, even though I recognize some are necessary to preserve the different breeds, but I really don't see any need for anybody to ever breed their pets...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Just have to say I agree 100% with Anouck
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 3:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Don't do it!! Unless you educate yourself. Make sure you have his hips,eyes and any other health tests done and don't just breed him with any old female. Make sure that the female has had the same tests done. If all you can say about him is that he is AKC registered then he many not be worth breeding. AKC does not mean you are getting a quality bred dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Before you decide to breed go to your local shelter or humane society on "death day". Watch as the animals are literally dragged out of their cages and taken to the back to be either gassed or given a needle or a needle through the heart. Watch as the shelter workers (who probably seem cold and hard hearted but just have shut themselves off) prepare the dog to die...and watch as the dog struggles because it can smell death and the fear....walk the rows of cages and see the dogs that people so badly wanted and then dumped at the shelter...your puppies could end up there.

Then, figure out if you still want to breed.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Trust me, I will be educated, and use the breeder that I bought my dog from for advice. We want puppies because my mom and some other family members want a dog with my dogs blood lines. His dad is a show champion. Truly a beautiful dog. Those puppies were amazing, well cared for with all testing done required by the breeders association. I paid a thousand dollars for this dog, and he has been worth every penny. I researched this breed and the breeders in my area for months before making a decission. These puppies are wanted, would never be dumped, or sold to people I don't personally know. I am not in the market to do this for a living or the money. My mother wants a puppy as do some of my friends...all will be well.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• well i don 't get it. you will have your male used as a stud but how does that guarantee that the bitches owner will only sell her pups to your people. i could see if you had your own bitch to breed and then you had the litter. maybe the bitches owner has a waiting list of potential dog owners on her next litter. you only having a male doesn't ensure you to have puppies but only to make someone else have puppies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Have your dog tested for hips, elbows and thyroid. Find out what is in the dog's lines that could be passed onto the offspring. Goldens have a lot of health issues like allergies and cancer...be sure your dog comes from healthy lines before you breed him.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If your mom and other people want a dog with your dogs bloodlines, why can't they just go to the breeder that you got yours from? Why do you have to breed your dog to give them that? Besides, If you just have the male you will only have so much say in the puppies. I don't understand how you can say that the puppies would not go to people you don't know unless you have a large group of people that want one. But what happens if the owner of the female wants to keep one? breeding can be complicated and to be honest I have never thought breeding because friends or family want one of the pups is a valid reason for breeding. THings can change people say things but then when the puppies come they say they have changed their minds.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010