Did you know that gelatin (jello) is good for you?

I eat sugar free jello everyday. I was curious if gelatin had any health benefits, so i did some googling. It actually is pretty good for you! Check it out!

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 1:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I love it! I didn't know that it did all of those things so I will make it a regular part of my diet....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm aware of the benefits, but still don't eat it. A lot of people probably wouldn't if they knew its origins. It's just too nasty to eat for me or my family.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled. During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.

Since I know this I gag when I see Jello, sorry to burst anyones bubble but you should know what you are eating. I saw this being made on "Dirty Jobs" too! :P
    Anonymous

• Gelatin may have health benefits but JELLO...well reg. has lots of sugar & sugar free has artificial sweetener. I think I'll stick with real fruit. As for the other things in it, it made out of animal products. So you can eat meat & get those same things.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I did. I eat it alot for my nails. It makes them stronger.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's not vegetarian :)

We don't/won't eat it or anything with it in it :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Gelatin appears to be beneficial to athletes for muscle growth and metabolism.
    Gelatin promotes a feeling of fullness.Gelatin helps maintain regularity
    Gelatin's high collagen protein content helps keep your skin smooth and firm. Many creams contain collagen to moisturize the skin but it is more effective when taken through food. Gelatin strengthens the hair, keeping it looking shiny and healthy.
    Gelatin is also excellent for the nails because it makes them stronger, so they do not break easily.
    Gelatin is excellent for your bones because of its high concentration of glycoprotein and proline amino acids. If you have a deficiency in both amino acids, you can have joint pain. When it is taken orally, it travels directly to your blood and from there; it goes to its destination, the connective tissue. By adding at least 10 grams of gelatin to your regular diet, your joints will quickly regenerate in case you overexert you
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That did not copy right, here is the link...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Health-Benefits-of-Gelatin

samurai_chica

• I knew about it increasing nail strength, because I remember my aunt taking gelatin pills to help her nails when I was a kid. I didn't know about the other stuff. I would probably only eat it occasionally though. I can't have the sugar free Jello or anything with aspartame though, because it gives me headaches.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son also refuses to eat gelatin because of the way it is made and the things it is made of. I refuse to buy anything with artificial sweeteners, and I try to avoid the artificial colors when possible so though we do SOMETIME use it, like once a year or so, it is not something I buy normally. Though we do eat Jello Vanilla pudding...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010