First TIME TRAVEL WITH BABY

MY SON IS 5 MONTHS AND THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TIME FLYING. ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO PACK, WHAT CAN I BRING ON THE PLANE ,THE AIRPORT WAIT AND HOW DO I MAKE THIS A SMOOTH FLIGHT.

mellanie1998

Asked by mellanie1998 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My dd was 3 months old when I took her on a plane for the first time. As soon as we got to the airport she made a very dirty diaper and then peed all over the place the second I removed her diaper. Thankfully I had 3 extra outfits on hand, plus the one she had ruined. So bring lots of clothes. An extra blanket as well.. Some airplanes are alot cooler then most. You also might want to take into account that feeding time is going to be a little hetic on a plane. And your child should be drinking something during takeoff and landing. Or at the least be sucking on a pacifier, if your child takes one.. If you formula feed, remember to bring extra, extra formula in case of a layover that takes longer then anticipated. Any small toys that are comforting and entertaining for your child is also a good idea to bring. Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK
    Jaedynnsmommy

Answer by Jaedynnsmommy at 4:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• take a lot of patience..... the more relaxed you are then more relaxed your baby will be.
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 4:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Contact the airline of what you can take at no additional fee. I flew back to Alabama from Pennsylvania when my son was 8 weeks (just a month ago). The diaper bag was not considered a carry on. The car seat was allowed as well. Most airlines let a stroller and pack and play in cargo with no fees as well. Just had to ask at security if I had to "declare" the formula and such. Just try to have the baby suck on a bottle or pacifier during take off to help with the popping of the ears....that is what a pilot informed my mum, as well as the pediatrician telling me when I asked. I had to think ahead with warming the formula for him, and held a bottle between my legs long before he needed it so it wasn't cold. Good luck. My first trip was nice, he slept most of the time on both flights. I hope it goes as smoothly in 6 weeks when we make our second trip home!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008