What's the best way to deal with people who talk about you behind your back?

Do you confront them? Or let it go because it's all hear say?

Some advice I heard from my dear mil...
"those who talk to you about others will talk to others about you".

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 2:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Me personally.

I would not keep someone in my life, involved in my life, a part of my life... if they talked about me behind my back.

No need to ignore.
    No need to confront.

Just wash my hands of them and never look back.. And Yes, that includes family members. I can be cordial, I can be diplomatic, however, they would not remain an active part of my life.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Your MIL Is correct. I would no longer have any form of contact with someone I thought was talking badly about me.. gives them NO ammunition. I am more non confrontational so that is just me, but I would want to confront them
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If they don't have the nerve to say it to my face. Then their opinion doesn't really matter to me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I ignore it. Unless I actually hear something myself, I don't pay any attention to rumors. Your MIL is right, btw :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Your MIL is very wise!!!! The best thing to do is ignore it. Especially if its a co-worker. You'll be better off going about your day as if nothing was ever said. Gossipping like that is actually a form of bullying.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If it's not affecting me I leave it alone. If they were straight up lying and it was affect my job, or my family or something then I would do something. But if people were just being catty I just take it for what it is and make sure to leave that person alone. I don't have time for other people's bullsh*t and don't need to get involved in any kind of drama if I don't have to.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ive been in a situation where a person who I thought was a good friend was talking bad about me behind my back.. & Honestly I really did want to confront her and blow her spot up and just expose her because all the lies she was saying.. But I decided to just cut ties with that person because its really not worth the drama at the end of the day, ya know?
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I ignore it all. It's not worth the time of day to allow nonsense get you down.

Think positively and be happy.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with SCUBA and Pixie trix...........you can't let something some one says behind your back get to you unless that person has the guts to say it to your face.

Apparently they aren't decent enough to NOT tell you to your face, then like pixie trix says........wash our hands of them and never look back..be nice to THEIR face.......never say a word about them to ANYONE...hell....vent on here.........but dont keep them active in your life.

You do not deserve to have toxic people around you or YOUR family.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If it is just normal girl behavior let it go and keep that person at a distance. If it is trash talking, ( so and so beats her kids or so and so is having an affair) then I would toatally confront the situation.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010