Religion and kids?

For those of you with faith in God (or whatever you call him/her/it) or for those who do not believe in God, how do you intend to handle the religious or non-religious upbringing of your children? What if they decide to believe something that you do not?

Airamana

Asked by Airamana at 2:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am totally okay with whatever my son decides. I want to give him the tools to educate himself in all religions or science and decide for himself.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm Buddhist, my DH is agnostic. We have exposed our children to several different religions (going to church or temple with friends, reading, etc.), it's important to me that they make their own informed decision about religion when they are ready.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm an atheist. I have every intention of teaching my children the basics of most major religions. If they decide to follow one, that will be their decision.... I wouldn't be thrilled, but I wouldn't stop them either.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm Pagan, My DH is Christian. We aren't raising our children with ANY religious upbringing... When they are to a point where they can make their own choices they will. Religion isn't something we believe should be taught or pushed, it's personal and should be found on one's own terms... As long as they are happy, whatever path they find, I'm good with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When we visit my parents, we go to Catholic church with them. We also go to my in-laws to celebrate Jewish holidays. We talk about different religions and what people believe, but both myself and my husband are atheists so we are generally teaching our children that while you can learn good lessons from different religions, you don't need religion to be a good person.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• im not religiouse, but i do love and beleive in god. i plan on teaching my kids that thier relationship with god is the most important thing, weather or not they decide to become part of a religion, i fully support them. i dont expect them or anyone for that matter to beleive exactly what i do just because i say its right. just because its right for me, doesnt mean that its right for them. they need to find their own way in life, and that includes faith.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son was raised to choose and follow his own path. Whether that was a path of belief or non-belief.

My job as his parent was not to instill **my** beliefs into him. My job was to open up the world of beliefs, allow him to learn and experience different beliefs, so that he could choose and follow his own path. My son experienced: Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, Buddhism, even Sufis in his quest t learn about religions.

I was raised Hindu. My husband is a devout Sikh. Both religions teach/believe that ALL paths are paths to God. That there is no one single right path. There is only the right path for each individual. So whatever path our son chose, as long as it was one of his choosing, one he believed in, one that he felt peace and comfort and love in, that's all that mattered.

My son chose to follow the path of the Sikh. He will take amrit next year in order to become Khalsa. He is a grown man, and this is his path.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm a Christian and brought all of my children up going to church almost every week, learning and being involved. When they get older, they can choose whatever they want but I believe children cannot choose if they grew up in a vacuum with no knowledge of any religion at all.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My children are raised to choose their own beleifs. As long as they're happy and it's nothing illegal, then it doesn't bother me on what they decide.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I not sure of my beliefs, but I am probably a post-theist or a Buddhist--I feel aspects of these philosophies fit me anyway. I never felt like atheist or agnostic described me well, and I'm open to the idea of 'God' by some definitions. I was raised Presbyterian, but no longer practice, and I also looked into Wicca for several years as a young adult too. I've learned something and taken something with me from all the religions and non-theistic ideas I've studied over the years. My DH studies Buddhism, Taoism, among other things, but he was Southern Baptist as a child. His father was actually a preacher when he was younger, but now he is a professor of theology in a university. I would like to teach my child about world religions, and let him decide for himself. I think he will get exposure to a lot of different ideas just having so much diversity in the family, but I've considered trying to find a UU church too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010