Craving salt, is that low iron? Can't remember.

I have been craving salt and Its been over 2 years since my last baby so I cannot remember what that means I am low on, is it iron? Anyone know?

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I crave salt all the time. I'm on/off anemic too. Eat what you crave within reason. Too much salt can cause high blood pressure.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If craving salt means low iron, I've been iron deficient my whole life!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• im not sure. i craved ice with my second, and i was anemic. i never craved salt with her. but low iron might bring on different types of cravings for different women. hopefully someone will have a better answer for you than me. always best to check with your ob though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Low thyroid
    Anonymous

• If you're craving liver or spinach, it's most likely iron... But I would think craving salt is a sodium deficiency.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Umm I really doubt its a disease I am just pregnant, but thanks.
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I just read a great article and this is what it said:

By far, the most common reason for salt cravings is stress. When we get stressed out, our adrenal gland works all the time. The adrenal gland produces a hormone, called aldosterone, which moderates human sodium levels. If there is not enough aldosterone, the body dumps the sodium into the bloodstream where it is carried out of the body. Then the body has insufficient salt and craves more. The thing to do when this happens is not to eat more salt, but to reduce your stress so that your adrenal gland is not overloaded.

CONTINUED BELOW
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i am iron deficient and i crave salt and ice so you could be anemic, get your doctor to check your iron levels :) oh and i never crave liver or spinich lol idk what she's talking about, yes they can help bring iron levels up, but i do not crave them
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you feel you absolutely are not going to make it through the day without more salt, substitute sea salt. Sea salt is much better for you and even has the minerals that were processed out of the table salt. The chances are that if you are craving sodium because your levels are low, you are also going to feel very exhausted at the same time. Often this situation results in low blood pressure and fatigue.

The solution is to try to eat a lot of high protein foods that are low in fat. These will strengthen your adrenal gland. Certain vitamins and minerals also help the body to retain salt, and these are vitamins B-1, B-5, E and C, along with manganese. This kind of adrenal gland insufficiency is also known as Addison’s disease. Some extremely rare diseases, such as Bartter Syndrome, which affects the kidneys, can also cause salt cravings.
    AprilDJC

• I have never been anemic before. Always had an above average supply of iron. So it is very odd for me but lots of stress yes! All I have is sea salt we don't use anything else :-) Thanks ladies!
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010