What beliefs do you teach your children?

This is not to offened anyone I am just curious.

If you practice whitchcraft, do you teach your children? If so what age? Do you worry about other kids making fun of them?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I teach my children that God is great! JMO
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We're atheists.  We educate, not indoctrinate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm not exactly sure what I believe, I think there are good points to almost all religions and I can also understand Atheism. I guess I'm Agnostic...and a leaning on the side of believing, yet being completely against all organized religion type of Agnostic, if that makes sense, lol. Anyway, my kids are little, 5 and 3, but when the subject comes up I tell them that "some people believe...(fill in the blank)" kinda thing. I want them to learn about all religions and decide for themselves when they are old enough, I'll support whatever they choose, including Atheism.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I teach them to be good to one another and those around them. I teach them to find the beauty in all they see. I teach them to honor and respect life. I teach them to honor and respect and love one another and their parents. I teach them to be honest in all their dealings. I teach them to take responsability for their actions and accept that they arent perfect and will screw up but that is ok.

I teach them to learn from everything. I teach them they are loved. I teach them that there are many beliefs in this world and one of them is that there is a God/Goddess who watches over them/us. I teach them to be open to all the spiritual teachings out there.

I also teach them what I believe but I dont force them to follow along and right now they are too young and I wouldnt want them to do witchcraft or rituals or anything along those lines with me. When they are older and ask more questions and request to join me, they can.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I will teach them my Christian beliefs, but I will not force it on them. It took me a long time to get here, and it is my place to lead them in the path I was lead, but when they get old enough to make choices, I will not force them to make mine.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Until children are old enough to understand things intellectually no belief is going to truly matter I don't think. As small children they see everything in almost fairytale magic exists and there are monsters under their bed. I think the important things to teach them until they can look at it intellectually and make a personal decision are good morals and how well to treat other people they come in contact with
    Kinasma

Answer by Kinasma at 2:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• As to our Beliefs, above ^ : I find that no one makes fun of any of us because we are of the Old Ways. Of course, none of my family are shy about telling people we are witches. On the contrary, many people are very interested---and want to know more !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 3:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We don't teach any beliefs. My DH is Christian, I'm a Pagan Witch, and none of it is taught. If they wish to explore religion and beliefs or practice, we are here to answer their questions and guide them, but we will leave it up to them as to when and what they choose to learn. We do however EXPOSE them to as many paths as we can. I practice my faith openly and they see it, my DH however doesn't practice his faith in any way. We read them myths and stories from every path we can find and once they are older if they choose to become involved in anything they are free to...

Of course I do hope they have a path similar to my own, but if they choose something else that's up to them. And no, I don't worry about bullying, everyone experiences bullies for one thing or another...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We originally set out to teach him nothing and let him be a blank slate, to choose when he was older. In reality, most of his "religions education" is devoted to deprogramming him from stuff he's subjected to from other classmates at school and trying to teach him how to politely smile and nod without encouraging them or offending them. (Wouldn't it be nice if they were taught to be as considerate?)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm an atheist, and I'm not planning on teaching my kids anything, really. At least not right now. Once they're older, I will go over the basics of all major religions with them, but I'm going to try to keep my own opinions out of it. Whatever they decide to do (once they're old enough to make an informed decision) is entirely up to them.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010