Ok to always hold a newborn?

My son is 2 weeks old. I've been trying despretly to get him on a sleep and feed schedule, but I've given up on that. What I'm really focused on now is getting him used to sleeping strictly in his bassinet for nap time, but I'm struggling w it. Yesterday he was up for 7 hours straight; we kept moving from bassinet to bouncer to swing, but he wouldn't sleep unless I was holding him. I have 2 other kids @ home & I'm a single mom, so its not possible to always hold him. So my questions are 1-is it ok to always hold a fussy baby, & 2-should I be so worried about sleeping in the bassinet only w him only being 2 wks old? I'm very adiment about getting him into routine, but I'm apprehensive about trying so hard when he's so little. I'm also concerned he may have an upset tummy, so I'll be getting some Gripe water today.

nappeal

Asked by nappeal at 2:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Holding a 2 week old is not going to spoil him, and it will probably be a few more weeks until you can start building a schedule. Just keep trying to let him sleep in the bassinet and eventually he will get used to it. It took until my dd was about 2 months old for us to get a good schedule.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Also, a sling or front carrier can help immensely with a baby who only wants held. Some days, putting dd in her sling was the only way I could do things like was dishes, fold laundry, walk the dog. It was super handy and I really recommend getting one.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He is too young to try for a schedule. Bassinet sleeping is good but right now he craves your closeness. Do u play soft lullabyes for naptime. It worked like a charm with my son. But he is really really young,he needs u. It is normal behavior.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not only is it ok, I recommend it.you won't spoil him and you should figure out how to work around his schedule. He is 2 weeks old and holding him often won't spoil him. It's what they crave. I recommend a Moby Wrap. He will be held and content and your arms are free for other things.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter was held a lot at this age, she just couldn't sleep well in her bassinet and even in the bouncy chair once I laid her down she would wake within 10-15 minutes. I don't think it's bad at all to hold them, at least for the baby, but I understand that it's hard for you with other children to tend to in your day. A sling or the baby Bjorn with baby facing you would probably help a lot. Do you swaddle the baby when you put him down to sleep? That or some white noise may help him rest better while not in your arms. I know the schedule is so important, you just may need to give him a little more time before he is ready, and same with the sleeping. I would just keep trying putting him down, and then have the sling for those times he wants to be held and you need to have your hands free. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Most doctors recommend holding a child that age as often as they like. I would get yourself a good unpadded ring sling (not the cheapo one from Wal-Mart though). At this age I would definitely not be too worried about either holding too much or getting him on a schedule.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't think it's possible to spoil a 2 week old baby . . . he is still getting used to being outside the womb & being in your arms is his security. He knows you & needs you right now!
    BlackMouth4

Answer by BlackMouth4 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• What the other ladies are saying is correct, don't focus on that your spoiling your baby, you will get a rountine and you will get to the point where you can put your baby down and do stuff, the first 6 wks are vital that they are close by you!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Too young for a routine and you can't spoil a baby! Get a sling or moby wrap and you can wear baby while he sleeps and you take care of the older kids. My DD lived the the moby wrap her first several months. She either napped in there or the swing until she was 6 months old. She had no trouble napping in her bed when she got older.

Research has shown that the MORE baby is held/carried the first 6 months, the LESS thy cry the 2nd 6 months. Pay it forward!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Get yourself a moby or any wrap (or buy 5.5 - 6 yards of any jersey knit, cut it in half up the middle when you get it home and it still has the crease in it then you have one!) and WEAR THAT BABY! I'm telling you, it will save you life. You can do almost anything when you baby wear - even breastfeed, and it's really good for the both of you.

Check out these video's on You Tube to show how to use the wraps - http://www.youtube.com/user/WrapsodyBaby
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 7:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010