What do you hope for your children?

I know we are all supposed to be open-minded and supportive of whatever our paths our children choose, but we still have these hidden hopes and dreams for them. For instance, I would love for my daughter to be beautiful, mechanically inclined, a badass dirt biker, an amazing cook, musician, and artist.

Airamana

Asked by Airamana at 2:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just hope that she is a good decision maker, is ambitious/outgoing, appreciates beauty in the world, has healthy relationships, knows the importance of an education, sets goals and standards for herself, remains healthy, takes pride in her accomplishments, is secure with her sense of identity, and so many others! I could go on forever! DD is my world. One thing that I fear is that her generation will have to clean up after our generation (and generations past), and pay for our national debt/environmental carelessness.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My hopes for my son (who is already grown..lol)

To be happy.
    To be a man of honor, integrity and respect.
    To be a man who stands up for what he believes in and fights for those who are weaker than he his.
    To be a man that loves and respects his spouse and family when/if he chooses to have one.
    To be a man that never goes against his own conscience.
    To be a man that can look in the mirror proudly and hold his head high.
    To be a man that always does his best, and puts his best foot forward no matter the situation.
    To be a man that understands the importance of being true to ones self.
    To be a man that lives his life on his own terms, not others.
    To be a man that knows when to fight and knows when to be diplomatic.
    To be a man who is unafraid to LIVE and experience all the good and bad that life has to offer.
    To be a man that has NO regrets when this lifetime is over.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Hmm.. To put it shortly... I hope they will have a long and healthy life, be well rounded, be proud and satisfied with the life they will lead and ofcourse, know true happiness. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• @ Pixie Trix - until I read that he was already grown, I was going to suggest an arranged marriage between him and my daughter! LOL! a mother could ask for no better for her little girl.
    Airamana

Comment by Airamana (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Wow pixie... You just made me tear up! Very well said.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• LOL Sorry he's 19 now.. Freshman year at MIT studying robotics engineering :-)

Funny thing.. He has asked for an arranged marriage (since they are a "cultural' and even religious norm for us..even though my husband and I had a love marriage and not an arranged one) . However, my husband and I will not start even looking for potential brides until he finishes college.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thank you Kenzie07...

My son (my only child) is very precious to me. What type of man he is, becomes over his lifetime is far more important to me than anything else in terms of goals/desires/status he can/could achieve.

If he is a "good" man. All the material things in the world would not hinder that or make any difference.
    If he is a "bad" man.. All the material things in this would can not make him a good one.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ok, Pixie, that is super cool! You two must have a pretty awesome marriage if your son trusts you two to choose well for him? Seems to speak volumes for the kind of parents you are and the love you have.
    Airamana

Comment by Airamana (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Pixie, you could not have said it better!! I hope your son exceeds your hopes! Sounds like he already is!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We have been married 25 years now.
    Have we had our share of problems. Oh hell yeah. We have made it through: indifference, infidelity, alcohol problem, money woes, and the myriad of daily problems/issues that can and do come about over the span of 25 years. However. We have made it through them all together. We have become stronger, more loving, more caring, more understanding, and more accepting of one another through it all. And All those things, taught us valuable lessons, and thanks to those lessons, we have an AMAZING marriage today.

Our son is well aware of all we have been through, all we have gone through to get where we are today, and all that we put into our marriage to make it the happy/healthy/satisfying/fulfilling marriage that it is today.

Why he has chosen an arranged marriage at this point and time. I really couldn't tell you. If this continues to be his desire. I will do my BEST to pick a good match!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010