Newborn hair

My daughter was born with a full head of brunette hari, how likely is it that after she loses her hair that it will grow in blond?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your daughter will not be a blonde. Blonde is a recessive gene, and a child will only be blonde if one of the parents is carrying a dominant blonde gene. Red also is a recessive gene, but since your Husband has red as his dominant, there is a chance that your daughter will have red hair like your son did.

Or something like that....I know that what I said is not exactly right, but my bf is really into genetics and stuff, and explained it to me when I was pregnant about dominant and recessive and why our daughter was going to have blonde hair and all this stuff...if you don't get the answer you are looking for, he gets off of work at 6pm tonight (we live on the west coast) you can message me and I can have him write you a more definite answer. :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• People told me that Kaylee's full head of hair would fall out and she would grow in new hair....that has not happened and she is almost 6 months old.

What HAS happened though is every time she loses a flake from her cradle cap, 2-3 hairs go with it, but it is happening so slowly that you can see her new hair underneath and it is already an inch long (her newborn hair is approx. 3-4 inches long) so my daughter will never go bald as people suggested she would.

Oh, and her newborn hair was dark brown, but her hair coming in underneath is considerably lighter. I was "dirty" blonde when I was a kid and my bf had the bleach blonde color (I call it white blonde) so yeah hers is coming in somewhere in between the two of ours.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I was born with black hair and my hubby red. I am now a dark brunette and he is a medium brown. My hubbies bro had blond hair and my MIL was saying that since my son was a red head that my daughter would be blond...
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My son hasn't lost any hair yet but the hair he was born with is lighter than it was. It was black for the first couple of weeks and now its brown.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my daughter was born with black hair and when she lost hers it came back blonde but my hair is blonde
    CiffsWife

Answer by CiffsWife at 5:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My son was born with a head full of dark brown hair, almost black. He's 5 months now and some has fallen out in certain spots and has changed to a lighter brown but he still has quite a bit of hair.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• lol. My son was born with dark straight hair (his father has straight black hair, and I have curly dark brown hair). Around 2 or 3 months nearly all of his original hair fell out, and it grew back BLOND and curly! He's got a full head of blond curls now. So cute. Have no idea where the blond came from...but my mom's a natural blond, and genetics is a funny thing.
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 1:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2008