my son is an animal lover but yet he beats up the dog...what do i do?

he loves animals! he sometimes doesnt even realize he hurts her...but when he does i tell him to stop,i smaked his hand for hitting the dog,the dog barked at him but shes never bit him or even tried to bite him...BTW she is a jack russel terrier...

SMALLfry05

Asked by SMALLfry05 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sorry all the Parents who are saying she's wrong for smacking his hand. She IS doing the right thing. If this first started with the cat and now the dog? My Husband was wrestling with and hurt his VERY GENTLE family dog as a child. That dog had enough of the teasing and ended up ripping both of his ears off. His Mom did the same thing (explaining how to love the dog) before this incident. I would hate to see another parent wait until something tragic happened. Smack his hand, his butt, keep him away from the pets. I don't think he's much of an animal lover afterall.... Maxsmom: wow, you seriously need to reconsider keeping that kitten. My friends Son did the same thing and broke the cats neck.
    blschuch

Answer by blschuch at 5:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well, smacking his hand to teach him not to hit seems a little counter productive... My 2 year old is surrounded by animals (7 cats and 2 dogs), and he does the same thing sometimes. I basically just tell him to be nice, show him to pet the animals, and tell him he hurts them when he hits them. It's unavoidable that he gets carried away sometimes, I'm just glad all my pets are supremely mellow and basically just move away from him.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think the best way is to SHOW him how he should treat the dog. You may have to keep a close eye on him and it may be something that you focus on with him right now and make a priority because you don't want him to hurt the dog nor do you want the dog to become aggressive with him or others. I would slap his hand for hitting the dog I would just get down to his level and show him how to love the dog with petting and being gentle.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He may get bit soon. I would keep them seperated. A dog can be tormented for just so long before they react especially terriers, then what?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I meant I WOULDN"T slap his hand for hitting the dog. sorry.
    sue118

• I would definitely stop that behavior,now!!!! Don't let it happen anymore. Dogs r gentle but like us they can only take so much!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son is 3 and just this morning I caught him holding down our kitten who is only 8 weeks old.. and he usually won't touch her but says Oh she is so little and tiny and cute.. why was he holding her down making her cry with a rotten smile on his face.. arg.. and he smiled the whole time I was scolding him...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Well we have 2 older cats he could give a crap about, this is just the first new incident with our kitten and it surely freaked me out this morning.. ugh...especially the evil little smirk that came with it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• he is 4 years old...i smaked his hand to show him that it hurts when u hit...he understood that it hurts but yet he is still finding ways to hurt the dog...
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• this one is for maxsmom11807: i got rid of my cat because my son did something similar to that but he wouldnt stop doing it for some reason...he said he loved the cat and all he wanted to do was hug her but his hug almost killed her...so i had to get rid of my cat...
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010