Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teething Tablets... I'm confused

I got them for my 11mo. They worked great!! It says they are all natural, but I've also heard they contain trace amounts of narcotics. I've read the box, the bottle, and the insert. It says 100% natural. The ingredients don't seem "fishy". So... does anyone know what the deal is with them? I'm probably going to continue to use them regardless, but I'd still like to know.

 
drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 5:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 9 (297 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • What happened here was a miscommunication. There are no narcotics in teething tablets. However, they do contain trace amounts of a "toxic" herb. Many holistic cures/treatments use trace amounts of toxic herbs (in levels that are NOT DANGEROUS!) to help treat problems. That's part of how many parts of holistic medicine works. So no there are no narcotics, however there is the herb that is considered toxic. But don't worry, your child would have to literally eat like three bottles of them at once to even be *somewhat* effected. I've known MANY children who've down a bottle (by accident of course) and have been fine.
    MamaPyratekk

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • if you are referring to Hylands teething tabs..they contain NO narcotics. Narcotics of any anount must be perscribed and sold only through a pharmacy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • Check with the manufacturer. There are plenty of skeptics for every OTC remedy for children. If you check with the manufacturer or the FDA there should be info you can get. You can also check with poison control, they usually have a MSDS for most OTC meds.
    HeatherTurner

    Answer by HeatherTurner at 5:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • I meant to add to my post earlier that my grandchildren's pediatrician is the one who told me DO NOT use orajel, use the teething tabs. He said he gets panicked parents calling all hours of the night when they've put too much orajel and the child can't swallow. I thought he was full of crap frankly. Then I had oral surgery and they told me to use orajel to help with the post op pain. The tooth was in the back of my mouth. Somehow the orajel spread or I swallowed some or it liquefies or something. That junk hit the back of my throat and I literally thought I was going to suffocate. Imagine what it must feel like for an infant that has no understanding of whats going on, or the ability to communicate other than crying.
    GrnEyedGrandma

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • Hyland's teething tablets have belladonna in them. Belladonna can be poisonous. You should do your research about it. There have been cases of belladonna poisoning with Hyland's teething tablets. IMO, I would never risk it and give it to my child.
    ashtacular

    Answer by ashtacular at 12:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

  • ^ Do you have any links showing that Hyland's have EVER been linked to belladonna poisoning? I ask because this is a common rumor, but I have yet to find an inkling of information about it. I have even contacted Hyland's and have been told this has *never* happened. The amount a child would have to eat to even begin to get bella donna poisoning is ridiculous...I'm talking at least a couple of bottles of tablets at once. My son has eaten an entire bottle at once (long story there, obviously an accident) and was fine and I have seen this happen to a few other moms I know as well.
    MamaPyratekk

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

  • http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php
    This link goes over the accusation of Belladonna, it also mentions there are no recorded cases of poisoning.

    I also suggest reading the comments here:
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=511404

    Many mothers mention their child consuming an entire bottle, they called poison control and were told plainly that it wasn't a big deal. It seems that the few reactions children have may actually be an allergy to belladonna rather than poisoning, at least that's what my assumption is here. At that link, I especially suggest reading post #6.

    MamaPyratekk

    Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

  • SEE HERE IN FLORIDA HUMPHREYS TEETHING TABLETS ARE ONLY SOLD BEHIND PHARMACY SO THAT MIGHT BE THE TEETHING TABLETS UR TALKING ABOUT HYLANDS IS OVER THE COUNTER
    ShYmAmA08

    Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN