Tumblers (drinking cups) made with Melamine. Are they safe?

I purchased a super cute set of 5 oval tumblers from Ebay. They arrived in the mail today and it got me thinking- Are they safe? I *think* I remember hearing about Melamine in the news a few months ago. Here are a few things that were on the cups on stickers. On the bottom it said "China" with a symbol to not microwave it. And on the outside of the cup was a sticker that said "made with RECYCLED material, patented & other, patents pending".
So, what do you think? Safe or not safe? I did a search but didn't come up with super useful info so I tho't I'd ask here!

dragonflylovr19

Asked by dragonflylovr19 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• As long as your not grinding them & eating the powder I would assume its safe.
    Anonymous

• Melamine resin is known as a thermoset plastic, because the plastic is fixed after molding. If exposed to enough heat, melamine will decompose. For this reason, melamine dishware should not be exposed to high temperatures like those in the oven and microwave. The plastic is able to withstand higher temperatures than other plastics, however. Because it is a thermoset plastic, melamine resin is difficult to recycle.
    Anonymous

• The chemicals in the melamine can be released into the food or drink if you heat it up. So dont use it in the microwave or high heat of a dishwasher. I am not sure what the effects of a hot drink would be in them though.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thanks so much for your answers! And just out of plain curiosity why did you answer Anonymous???
    dragonflylovr19

Comment by dragonflylovr19 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Because I got a weird person following me around here & I'd rather not deal with them.
    Anonymous

• Look at the recycling symbol, research it, you should be able to find out exactly what is in it. Many plastics break down in the dishwasher heat also, which creates the same scenario as heating them in the microwave. Once the plastic is heated up by the microwave or dishwasher, the chemicals are released and leach into whatever is in the tumbler. And many manufacturers use a sex hormone in their manufacturing process, which is also bad for children!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• to play it safe i would not bother with them see if you can get your money back
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I've owned a set of melamine bowls for years and plan on buying another set. I love them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010