age and the decision to get baptised

Someone just asked why you get baptised, but I wonder, at what age can a child really make a deep spiritual commitment and decision such as getting baptised? I wonder about my SS (almost 10) because his mother insisted that he wanted to be baptised over the summer. She also insisted that he wasn't old enough to understand what type of summer camp he wanted to go to, that children his age are not able to think globally enough to know what they like and do not like and this is why "we" have to guide them. But, how can a child be mature enough to make a deep and personal decision about thier spiritual path, yet, not be mature enough to be able to choose thier summer camp?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 4:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We baptized our children as babies. We believe that in the New Testament when people were new believers that were baptized and it says (paraphrasing) that they and their whole families were baptized also that includes children. That being said it is a personal decision and it has never bothered me when people disagree. I don't believ baptism is a requirement to get into Heaven. It is an act of obedience to what Jesus asks of us.
    molly1984

Answer by molly1984 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Jesus was 30 ish when he was baptized.... i believe a profession of faith means you have to have at least a basic understanding of what you are taking upon yourself--unless you are simply claiming to be a part of a religion. if you consider baptism to be dedicating your life to god, to do His will, which I do, then I think babies and small children don't grasp these concepts.
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends on what you believe baptism to be. We baptise our infants. There is no magical "age of accountability", when all of a sudden, at age 8, children are granted spiritual knowledge and maturity. Baptism is the entry into the Church, and the beginning of your walk with Christ. When a child is young, it's up to the parents to raise them in the Church and teach them, but as they grow they begin to shoulder the responsibility of their walk on their own. It's a growth process, that never ends. We all continue to grow in Christ. Christ Himself said "Suffer the children to come to Me". And so we do. I don't have the right to withold a child from Christ and the Church, just because of the child's age or ability to understand.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 4:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Ages are different for every person. One has to know of their sinful condition and that if they died they would go to Hell. There is only one sin that keeps a person out of Heaven, and that is the sin of unbelief. This is also called the age of accountability. Because there is an age that we are accountable for our actions. Right from Wrong. So, once someone can realize they are lost and in need of a Savior. Realize what sin is and understand. Then understand what Jesus did on the cross. Jesus came to give us Life Eternal..to all those who believe upon His name. (Ro. 3:23, Ro. 6:23, John 3:16, Acts 16:31) One then believes upon (relies upon, trust) in Jesus. Know that He died for You. You personally. Once we are saved the Bible wants us to be baptized..not for salvation for because of salvation. Because of His death, burial and resurrection.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• We go to an Assembly of God, they do child dedication where the parents dedicate them to the Lord but baptize when they are old enough to make their own choice about it. I think it's a great belief... and I love Assemblies.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My SO and I are Atheists, but we don't discourage our children from embracing religion and both of our families are religious so our children are exposed to christian faith. I would definitely allow my children to be baptized if they came to me and asked to be. Half of my family wanted us to do it at birth, but I want the children to be able to choose and understand and appreciate the commitment they make if that is a decision they choose to make.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that a person should well know what the Bible teaches and have a full understanding of the Bible, God, and Jesus. I think they need to know all of this before they decide to be batized. Even if it took that person until they were 40 yrs.old. Being baptized is more than just being baptized, it is also an understanding. I don;t think that babies should be baptized either, because they have no knowledge of God, or anything pretainging to him. They are only infants, not even old enough to understand about the reasoning about God if they wanted too.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• So . . . then babies can't enter the Kingdom of Heaven? They can't be saved? God doesn't love them? Christ really didn't mean what He said about the children coming to Him? There's no record in Scripture of Christ "testing" those children to make sure they "understood". After all, who can fully understand and comprehend the mind and will of God?

"They are only infants" - is that supposed to mean they aren't worth anything to God?
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 8:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• at the very least 18!!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2008