Bed time for 3 yr old?

It is a STRUGGLE to get my daughter to go to bed. She will fight it off as long as she can and sometimes goes to bed close to 1 am. Her father has been around more and my daughter is a complete opposite of an angel when he is around. She ignores me and doesnt listen to me and when I get mad she just laughs. Well everynight before she goes to bed she is hungry after eating less than an hour ago. I put her in bed at 8pm! and she said she was hungry(she does this every night) I told her no more food its bed time unless she wants a glass of milk. She tells her dad she's hungry and he gets up and makes a sandwich for her, after she eats that she says shes hungry again and ask for cheese, then she wanted cereal. I said ENOUGH! its bedtime! She then starting complaining because she wants tea. I said no food, no tea and then kissed her goodnight. Her dad became upset and feels if she says shes hungry then we should feed her even lat

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• even when it is late at night. I said if she ate less than an hour ago theres no need to continue feeding all through the night because she does this because she does not want to go to bed. It became a heated arguement, in which he apologized and just felt that we having different parenting styles. His reasoning is because she has a hard time eating and is a difficult and picky eater that whenever she says she is hungry we need to feed her. My reasoning is that she is 3 and needs a reasonable sleeping habit and she ate less than an hour ago. She ate all her dinner, had cheese, yogurt and a sandwich all within the 2hrs before bed. She is just not wanting to sleep so she will keep saying she is hungry.
    What do you guys think I should do in situations like this. I dont want to be a bad mom but dont like her sleeping past 10 and having to wake up early for preschool and being so tired in the mornings.
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i do a agree to that who every
    red625

Answer by red625 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I tell my kids they do not eat after 6 PM so they better eat enough at supper time to fill there bellys until bresakfast! I do reading time at 7 and they are in bed by 7:30. Usually with no major chaos! We have a 8 yr old, a 4 yr old, and a 2 yr old. I did this from day 1 so I am a huge believer in routine! :)
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It sounds like stalling to me too. We made a bedtime checklist that includes all of the things that the kids liked to use as excuses to get back up out of bed. It includes: bedtime snack & drink, brush teeth, use the potty, put on jammies, say good nights. We have them get ready for bed and go through the checklist at 8 pm. The little kids (4 & 5) have lights out at 8:30 and the big kids (both 10) have lights out at 9. Anyone out of bounds after lights out gets lights out 15 minutes earlier per incident the next night.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You're going to have to stick to a routine. It's going to be hard but you need to remember you're the parent, and it's for her own good. Give her a snack at 7pm, no TV at least an hour before bed. So after the snack, it's bathtime, then brush teeth, and then story time. Fill up her bed time routine with all of that, and then she will learn to relax when she lays down. Let her pick the book every night, make it fun, but keep it calm and quiet. Keep the lighting low so she can learn to relax. She should be ready to go to sleep at 8pm. If she calls for you, go in, tell her it's bedtime and walk out. If she gets up, then take her back in, etc... If she refuses to stay in bed, then it's time to stand at the wall, in the corner, or timeout chair for 3 minutes, tell her if she goes to bed then no standing at the wall, corner, timeout chair, etc. You have to stick to it, and be firm.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Simply tell her no, and don't give in. sounds like you need to have a serious talk with her father.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• sounds like excuses. after the first glass of water and a small snack sen d her to bed . it sounds like she wants to be with you and maybe shes going to miss something.maybe read to her at night. establish a night time routine. good luck
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• First thing you need to do is sit the father down and have a well needed talk when parenting you have to be on the same page otherwise it confuses the child and also gives her more lee-way with mis-behaving. plus if she knows she gets what she wants from one parent she will use this to her advantage. Super nanny technique get her ready for bed pick up toys, bath time, brush teeth, potty before bed, story time, then tell her good night i love you and not get up, if she calls for you say good night only say it twice, if she gets up put her back to bed say goodnight twice then after that put her in bed and say nothing keep doing this until you accomplish her in bed and sleeping it may take some time but you need to show her that bed time is bed time no food no nothing GOOD NIGHT!!
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• O by the way Good Luck with whatever you choose to do i could only imagine how hard that must be.
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010