3 yr old not listening?

Is it a normal phase for a 3yr old to ignore me and not listen! My daughter refuses to listen to me more than half the time. She would prefer going to time out than to listen to me. I ask her nicely to pick up her toys or other simple things and she will just ignore me or say "I said no!" or" I dont want to". When we go to stores she acts out and will not listen and I feel she does this because she knows I will not raise my voice when we are not home. She's s sweet hear and I love her to death but dont want her to group up with bad habits.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you have to pick them up act like you are throwing them away and put them out of sight for a bit! Take things away! Trust me they do not like it if they think there things are going to be gone or given to someone else who is "good listeners"
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• OMG! My lil girl just turned 3 in October and she is doing the same stuff now. She used to be soooo sweet but it is like within the last few months she has completely changed. She embarasses me in public by actin a fool and at home I cannot get her to listen to me. When this first started it was only with me and she still listed to my husband. Now, she doesnt care to act up with my husband either. She would rather take a spankin or time out than listen. It is like she is always in trouble and it makes me feel bad too. She even refuses to eat sometimes too for no reason, just because. She always says "Mom I am sick of this" or "GRRRR I said NOO" Nothing has changed that I could see where this behavior would be coming from. So, I am right there with ya. Not sure what to do about it yet but hopefully it gets better. Not to mention the Grandparents spoil her like crazy and let her have whatever she wants.
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 5:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Mine is acting the same way!! Sometimes it's not as bad, like in the store. She likes to go out. Swats on the butt stopped it pretty quickly. Now, I count to three, and if I make it to 3, she gets one swat. Its helped, but not fixed the problem by any means... I'm thinking it's just her way of asserting her independence... Ugh...
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 6:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my 3 year old grandson is the same way.i just take him outside if were at a store even if i have to cary him out.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• pretty normal... i just had to set tougher limits... if my 2 or 3 year old act up IN a store, i don't raise my voice... instead we just leave the store. but if they are GREAT they get to pick a treat (from a few that i've selected)... if they talk back about cleaning up before bed time the deal is that any toys I have to pick up... I get to keep... (no i don't throw them out, they can "earn" them back... and tossing them would be a waste)... so instead of yelling and time outs, i've had to resort to gaining or loosing toys/privlidges/treats...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Ah, yep, pretty normal. I love the, "I don't want to." It's so cute. I always reply with "I wasn't askin' honey. I'm telling. Now do ____" (whatever it was).
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I am at my wits end with my daughter for the same behaviors. At the moment her only goal in life seems to be to make me cry. She hasn't got a single toy left, we don't watch tv, and she hasn't gotten to see one of her movies in 3 weeks. I am at an absolute loss. There is nothing left to take from her and she spends all of her time in time out. But she is an angel for anyone else. Sometimes when I ask other moms for help I think they don't believe me when I tell them what she does at home.
    GrayPyre

Answer by GrayPyre at 2:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010