Cutting wasteful government spending

I am sure we can all agree on some types of wasteful spending but...one man's trash is another man's treasure. Isn't that one of the reasons we disagree?

Money to study the asian carp problem, for example, would seem wasteful to those whom asian carp do not effect...right?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I see what you're saying I hear the "we pay so much for the military's housing and healthcare..." and on and on but that's really small pickings compared to the wasteful spending on privatized companies doing jobs troops can do for half the money. The housing companies that were just found to be defrauding the military for billions a year, for example, my first house at Camp Lejeune was issued to me by a master sergeant who's MOS was logistics, but for some reason the powers that be in their infanite wisdom decided privatizing would save money...

What I'm trying to say is that it's those close to a lifestyle or situation that really knows where all that wasteful spending goes even though it may seem completely different on the otherside of the fence.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Money to study the asian carp problem, for example, would seem wasteful to those whom asian carp do not effect...right?

Federal Funds do not need to be used in this manner. I can think of other ways we need not to be spending Federal Taxpayer funded money~ but then they are considered extreme.. I even think our military wastes money and should be more efficient. Just because defense spending is one of the "constitutionally" recognized responsibilities of the federal government, doesn't mean they get a blank check and free pass... More efficient. More effective. Less waste... That is what I want for a nation that will be handed down to my children.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• (AP) The secretary of the Army says officials are doing everything they possibly can to figure out why 10 infants have died inside homes at Fort Bragg in the past three years. Secretary John McHugh said Friday during a visit to the post that it is a critically important issue for the Army. He called the matter a "frustrating mystery."

I have family at Bragg. Their military community is devastated. One private study pointed to Chinese Drywall, but all gov't studies have not.  The familes are afraid.  And you know when the family morale is low, then add to it Bragg being a highly deployable post~ it just compounds the issue...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Right. And when you're in an economical recession, you need to evaluate who should be paying for this studying and whether or not it's important right now.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The Asian carp issue is quite a serious threat to the great lakes. I live by Lake Michigan and it is on the news all the time. The US is teaming with Canada on a study regarding containment. They can ruin the $7 billion dollar fishing industry. That would be a devestating impact to the economy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Here's an example of wasteful spending: My husband was stationed in Little Creek. Camp LeJeune was the only area that had waters and an open range for his command to do their training. So what did they do? Instead of stationing this command in Lejeune, every week, half the command, complete with vehicles, MTVRs, Humvees, etc would convoy down to Lejeune for a few days. Do you know how much money was wasted in gas alone? Another way is to put a hold on BRAC. How is it cost effective for the military to move a naval training facility to TX when boot camp is a half mile away from NTC? They spent millions on revamping the gates and half the base is going to close by next year.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The housing companies that were just found to be defrauding the military for billions a year, for example, my first house at Camp Lejeune was issued to me by a master sergeant who's MOS was logistics, but for some reason the powers that be in their infanite wisdom decided privatizing would save money...

~Blue Collar, did you hear about the infant deaths in Fort Bragg's new military housing... Still investigating if the contractors used Chinese drywall...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Fayettnam has enough problems has it is for Army families! This is the last thing they need!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This type of thing is why I think earmarks should be looked at individually because some of them do have merit .
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Have you taken the time to learn about the Asian Carp. They destroy all other fish and plant life. They get into all our other lakes, rivers and the great lakes, it will affect us all.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2010