At what age did you start chores, and what kinds of chores were they?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My kids are 8, 10 and 12. They keep their room clean and thats it. The older they get the more they will have. Like right now I am teaching my 12 year old how to do laundry. That is not too far off for him.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My kids are 6 and 4 and we have had chore chart for the past couple years. I started with my son at about 4 and my daughter wanted one too, so she started at 2 :) The chores were and are still super simple, like get yourself dressed, brush your teeth (I still help my dd), eat meals without arguing over what it is, take without arguing, go to bed without arguing (I hate when they whine). Just like daily tasks they are suppose to learn anyway, I just made it more important to them so they would want to do it.
    Now as my son gets older he has things like to make his bed, do well in school, feed the cat. My daughter has added to clean up her toys and she likes to set the table!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 3:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• *take showers*
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 3:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son is about to turn 9 and we just gave him some "official" stuff to do on a chart. He's been good about feeding the dog or bringing his laundry down stairs when told to do so but this chart will give him stuff that is his ONLY to do and he will be expected to do these things now not just regularly but without being prompted. I was ok with the way things were but this started as a Cub Scout assignment and I really like the idea. I didn't overload each day. Daily he gets to check the mail and make his own bed. Every other day he will vacuum the living room, a couple of nights a week he will put dishes away, Mondays he will bring the trash can up from the road, etc.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have three kids. 9,6 and 3 and the older two have had chores for a while now.They have recently started folding and putting away their laundry. That in its self takes a huge load off of me! They have also done vacuuming ,dishes and the oldest cleans a mean toilet lol.They are responsible for their own rooms and folding and putting away their laundry to me those are not chores. Every wend they get out of school and hour early so that is chore day ie vacuuming,dusting or cleaning off the glass tables in the living room. One of them also does the dinner dishes and the other helps give little bro a bath. We just started the more difficult things this year. So far so good. I say the earlier they start the less resistance there is at this age they think its fun to clean lol. Waiting till they are old might not be as easy.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 4:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I never had any set chores but when my kids are old enough to run a washer and dryer they are taught to do their own laundry. They have to clean their own bathroom and when we had a cat they had to take care of it. I am a sahm with a very small house I just figure if i gave them to much to do then what would I do? Also they have to pick up after themselves. I will do the dishes but they have to rinse theirs and put them in the sink. i will vaccum but all the toys have to be off the floor and put away. They have to be responsible for themselves.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010