Why won't my son crawl?

He is nearly 11 months old. He lays on his belly. He has good head control. He scoots all over the place. He even gets on his hands and knees, and bounces back and forth. BUT he will not crawl. I've tried placing toys just out of reach so he will crawl to them, he just sits up and scoots to them. I've tried laying on my stomach and trying to get him to come to me. He does the same thing. He just started getting on his hands and knees, then putting his feet under him. but he can't stand up, so he just falls back down. He is trying to get his footing to walk rather than learning to crawl first. Any advice to help him master the crawling milestone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some kids never crawl, they go straight to walking. Don't force it.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He is scooting so it probably won't be long.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• he doesn't need to crawl. If he can locomotor himself to an object he can pull up on he's fine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Just go with whatever he's interested in. Someday, you will tell stories of him refusing to crawl, and just walking instead. It will be funny, and you'll tell this story every time he skips a step and still finishes well.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 3:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter scooted!! I loved it, it was so funny. She bounced along on her tushy. She crawled after she walked. It's fine if he doesn't crawl. Enjoy it!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Crawling is NOT a milestone. Many babies walk without actually crawling first. My oldest just scooted around on his tummy. Then he started standing holding onto furniture & then walked. I have another child who only crawled for a month before walking. Once she began to walk she never crawled again. Some babies alternate between the two for a while.
    Anonymous

• My daughter never crawled & one day out of the blue, she got up & walked! Don't stress it; all kids are different . . . but you should discuss any concerns you may have with your baby's pediatrician.
    BlackMouth4

Answer by BlackMouth4 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i had the same issue with my son. He offically started to do a crawl on his hands and knees just before his 1st Birthday, my advice is don't worry, and let him practice. The more he has time to experiment he will eventually get the idea to crawl.
    And they do say that sometimes a baby doesn't ever completly crawl.

Trust me I was the same way, but pretty soon he learned how to do it.

Good luck to you!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• As long as she eventually learns to crawl, even after walking, she will be ok. Crawling is a milestone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Crawling is an optional skill. It is not used to measure your baby’s overall development. Some babies decide not to crawl at all. And that is perfectly fine as long as they are reaching other very important developmental milestones such as rolling over, sitting without support, cruising, and walking independently.
    Anonymous