Why so many military contractors?

Why do we use so many military contractors instead of using military personnel?

It seems like a DOD engineer could develop weapons or soldier could make breakfast just as easily as an employee of Bechtel.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 3:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because some bureaucrat with a contractor in his district releases a "study" that shows the military could save money if they used said contractor... Said Contractor who probably wrote the study, submits bid. WIns.. And in many cases (housing, food service, etc) it is the military family who loses out in the end.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ohhh and it is also less expensive to payout contractors during a contract period and NOT renew during tough times.. Or re-negotiate...... If it were all military run, then there would be benefits, etc to pay out... Our military is much smaller than it used to be... But I think there is more $$ waste.. JMO
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not only that Grly the DOD budget is probably the least read fiscal document that passes through, so they can basically write in their own pay once they're in the budget. Like I mentioned in your previous question OP there was a housing company that was just found to be defrauding the military and government for billions a year, not to mention it's also one of the worst rated subsidized housing corporations in America.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• There's also a big hullabaloo about food services and weaponry, but basically we're told you signed the contract deal with it.

Or when you deal with TriCare trying to accept a referral for your child, who is deaf~and they tell you, "we don't have to be concerned with customer service, we are government funded insurance company. "... That was when I left, decided I would have to work to afford civilian health care and get out of the military system.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Oh grly tell me about it, I've been fighting them for vision therapy for my son after his eye surgery. "We pay for your surgeries but the only recoup therapy we pay for is service personnel only." He wouldn't need recoup therapy if he didn't have the surgery!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• They put you in this cycle, you get dizzy, and finally quit. If, IF you stick with it, you get what you are supposed to get.
    Military contractors don't need the damn benefits, not when they get paid, what, $800 a day? Something like that. Why would they need medical? One day's pay would pay for a lot of stuff, a weeks worth for all else.
    So far, we haven't had any trouble with Tricare. It's the docs I have issues with. Right now we are getting billed from UNC, but Tricare says UNC is billing wrong, and getting pissed at UNC cause of it. So...IDK what we will face later on. So far, I've always gotten what we needed. Not everyone gets that, I know.
    Currently, there is a big to-do about about 10 or so babies-toddlers that died in on post housing. Saying it's the sheet-rock. 'Studies' show it's not that. Yet, it's all very strange. However, Ft. Bragg is HUGE. 10-12 babies dieing in 3-4 years, not that much. IDK what to think.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm getting ready to be a DoL contractor on base. I will be making what an E4 would or 18.87 an hour. Not too bad and the benefits include medical, dental, vision, stock options, 401K, etc. When I was active duty, we were told that the reason a lot of corpsman (silent ps) jobs were being contracted was because the active duty were all subject to deployment. A contractor working in a hospital or wherever won't be deployed. I guess a piddly contractor job and Xe or Halliburton is not really the same.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why doesn't the military make a bigger stink about this? It seems like they would want to keep the money in-house.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Contractors don't qualify for benefits, as a regular employee does but they usually get paid a lot more for their services...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

There is a big stink in the privatized housing area. But bureaucrats and their contractor cronies trump family members.  It isn't stopping family members from fighting the fight, but in the end~bureaucrats and their contractor cronies win..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010