Scheduled C-section?

Has anyone had a scheduled c-section with their 2nd or more kids, and like to share their story with me?!

MrsHacker07

Asked by MrsHacker07 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sure! i had a scheduled c/s with my third. it was the smoothest of my 3 deliveries. the only thing that went unplanned, was i was scheduled to be cut (sorry, lack of better word) at 1:30 and ended up getting delayed til 4:30, and in the meantime of all that waiting i was having contractions in my hospital room. very uncomfortable! but anyway, once my ob was finally ready for me, they walked me over to the OR, prepped me up, gave me my spinal, and went to town! i'll admit, i was terrified, only because my first unplanned cesarean was a nightmare. but this one went much, MUCH better. all in all it was about 45 minutes and i was back in my room holding her =) she was born wednesday afternoon and i went home friday morning.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I did. Scheduled my 2nd child via c-section after having to have an emergency c with my 1st. It was actually kind of nice. I picked out the date she would be born. I knew the end of pregnancy was coming down to the exact day, I had my hospital bag ready & wasn't so nervous about my water breaking in public or anything.

The day came and I was excited. I couldn't wait to meet my baby girl! Everything went fine and then when it was time to go in and they were wheeling me on the bed to the operating room I kinda freaked out. I was so out of it w/the 1st one I really didn't know what was going on. Not so much w/this one. I was completely sober (no meds or 20 hours of being induced, pain meds, etc.) so when I was being wheeled in and I was staring up at the lights and was coherent enough to hear everyone, I for a split second thought about trying natural. LOL.

cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep. Scheduled c-section with #2 and #3. #2 decided to come on her own and we had to move up the time, same day, though. I was seriously contracting 1.5 minutes apart according to the hubby. I wish now I would have tried for a VBAC. Both times everything went smoothly. It seems to get easier every time for me. I'm not sure what you want to know...
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thank you :)

I had an emergency c-section with my first daughter, after being a week over due, induced and in labor for two full days, with minute apart contractions, so when they gave me the epideral for my c-section i was in pain so i wasen't really worried about the giant needle going into my back, HAHA! Now, that i know i won't be in pain for this one, i am worried about what it's going to feel like going into my back and stuff. Was your ladies recovery faster then your first c-section? Did it hurt just the same or not as much?? How much was your bleeding?

Sorry for all the questions ladies :) I really appreciate it.
    MrsHacker07

Comment by MrsHacker07 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• the spinal didn't hurt at all for me. i was really nervous but it doesn't hurt, just a quick pinch type thing. and yes, my recovery was MUCH quicker the last time around. i was cleared to drive and pick up my older kids a week later, walking around the block with the double stroller and doing light household activities the very next day. with my first cesarean, i might as well have been deemed useless for a good two weeks. i also leaked a little bit of blood and goo from my scar the first time, this time nothing at all. no burning sensation when i would walk around, no fatigue like the first time. planned cesareans always have a better outcome, imo. and i didn't even need my pain meds after the first few days. good luck! =) oh and i bled for about 3.5 weeks post partum.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep, my 2nd and 3rd were scheduled C-sections. With my 2nd my Doctor picked the day and then moved it up a week because his wife wanted to go on vacation, I was fine with that as it was August and I was more than ready for the baby to arrive! So #2 arrived on a very special day-- the 9th anniversary of when hubs and I met, and the 10th anniversary of the day hubs dad died. With the 3rd the doctor told me what 2 days he had openings in surgery and I got to pick the date. So my 3rd was born on my 36th birthday!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Have you considered a VBAC?

My sister recently had a VBAC and it was awesome. She said her experence was so good she would never even think about scheduling another c-section without a medical reason.

Just some food for thought.
    Anonymous

• Yes, i have looked into having a VBAC but with my medical conditions, the planned c-section is the best way to go :)
    MrsHacker07

Comment by MrsHacker07 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I had a scheduled c-section for my daughter, as my induction with my son 6 years ago didn't work and I had a c-sec with him.....my pelvis was small and tilted and he was stuck, I didnt want to go thru another induction only to have the same happen with my daughter.

But even with a scheduled c-sec, which was set for December 30th last year I developed preeclampsia and had her sooner on December 18th. But both recoveries were the same, I made sure I got up as frequently as I could so it would get easier and easier each time and knowing what to expect helped me not feel nervous.

With my son I felt nothing during the c-sec, with a epidural and then spinal, with Katelyn I had the spinal only and I did feel some tugging and her kicking my ribs like crazy before they got her out....but no pain.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That is not an emergency C-section. An emergency is when they rush you to the OR and grab some O negative blood on the way because some is about to die and there is not time for the lab work. Plus an emergency is almost always general anesthesia, no time for a spinal or epidural. What you had was an emergent c-section, which means it wasn't planned but the reason for it emerged during labor. What you had sounds like failure to progress unless the baby was in distress.  I think you would benefit from a little more research into VBAC. Very few medical conditions mix well with major abdominal surgery.  Now if your choice comes down to induction or c-section I would pick the c-section, because inducing a woman with a previous scar is just asking for a rupture!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010