Is it ok to do this in early pregnancy?

Is it ok to do crunches in early pregnancy since I don't have a belly yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did them a couple times when i was around 7 weeks. i don't recommend it though. why do you want to do them? losing weight makes you get a flatter stomach, not crunchies. and you really shouldn't be trying to lose weight while pregnant.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• you really shouldnt excurise like that when your preg even if you dont have a belly yet
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• because I don't want to turn into a big pile of jello like I did in my last pregnancy. And I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to stay strong.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ya. It's completely fine. When you enter your second trimester you should begin doing motified crunches for pregnant women which can be done either by laying on your side or by sitting in a chair, holding your muscles in tight and then moving into the crunch.

The only concern with crunches is being on your back after the second trimester because the weight of the placenta can push on a main aterie and reduce oxygen to mom and baby.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• WHY WHY WHY do people think that exercise is only for losing weight???

Exercise is for staying healthy and fit. It's to help maintain strength which you will need during labor. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong or dangerous about doing crunches during pregnancy.

As a matter of fact the prenatal exercise kit I bought when I was pregnant with DD had a form of crunches to do in EVERY trimester. Keep doing what your doing...nothing wrong with it.

TO MANY WOMEN stop exercising when they get pregnant and eat everything in sight which is why they end up gaining 60, 70, 80 + pounds during pregnancy when it's recommended they only gain 25-30.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Personally I wouldnt do crunches, I would be too worried about it, but I do do prenatal yoga, and there are exercises that use your abs, so really Im not sure there is anything wrong with it, but I have always thought that was a no no while pregnant, but it may be more of the laying on your back the second trimester that they are a no no. I would ask your doctor.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Just keep active in general. I walked, went to the gym, biked, did yoga and Pilates, and swam through my pregnancy, and kept my weight gain to 12 lbs. I didn't do crunches, because it ups the risk of the rectus abdominus (abs) separating, which is painful and makes for a longer recovery. Frankly, I wouldn't risk it. JMO
    Try to eat right and exercise. Use common sense. Listen to your body, drink plenty of water, if you get light headed STOP.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• There are plenty of options to keeping yoru belly muscles in shape but crunches aren't a good idea at any time in pregnancy. I would recommend doing some more isolated excercises on a stability ball that aim at working the core muscles. Crunches just don't strengthen your core effectively. Try snagging a Fit Pregnancy mag next time you are in your doctors office for some great ideas or check them out online.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 8:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'd pass on the crunches. There are many other ways to exercise.
    anthrolovinmom

Answer by anthrolovinmom at 11:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010