cavity?

I think i found a small cavity in my 16 month old dd's mouth :( I'm so disturbed and feel horrible...

I try to brush her teeth regularly, but it's hard as she thinks it's either a toy and plays with it and chews on it, or refuses to let me in there to brush.

Any tips or tricks I can use to make this fun for her, and to prevent the cavity from getting bigger/worse.

might I also add I try not to give her sweets but her daddy has been known to sneak one in once in a while ( guess more often than I've noticed :( )

I feel like a bad mommy

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 4:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She needs to see a dentist. Cavities in baby teeth can end up going down through the root and affecting the adult tooth bud underneath.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• k , I'll schedule an appointment, I just don't want to seem neglectful or like I'm doing something wrong.
    I feel so bad ...ugh .....Thing is she really doesnt get that many sweets.
    AshleyRoseG

Comment by AshleyRoseG (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I work for a dentist, and she uses the child-size Sonicare toothbrush on her kiddos. They love it b/c it tickles!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You are not a bad mom and sweets once in a while doesn't cause cavities. Some people are just prone to cavities. I know kids that don't get ANY sweets or juice and still have cavities. Call a dentist, a pediatric dentist and see if they will even see her, most will not because of her age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You need to take her to the dentist.Thats a no brainer.And if she can't afford get on medicaid.
    Danielle_Nicole

Answer by Danielle_Nicole at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We sing kids songs while I brush and I let them pick whichones.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• we have several tooth brushes around here,,when my lil one takes her bath i throw one in there with her and she kind of brushes them then,then i found that the electric rotating ones work wounders,only cost like 5 dollars at walmart..we got one that came with stickers so lil one could put them on the brush herself..plus the electric ones cuts the struggle time in half..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010