How do your adult children split up the holidays?

My daughter was married this year and my son is getting married in May. Neither is coming for thanksgiving and I am a bit sad. I will have them for Christmas eve which is big for my family!

chris219

Asked by chris219 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Holidays

• That is a though one....I am an adult that has to split the holidays. My husbands family doesn't have any traditions or get togethers, so I am happy for that because my family is all about tradition. We do the same things every year. For Thanksgiving we are at my parents house for a noon lunch, then my husband and I have to leave about 4 to go home to milk the cows, then we come back for supper (leftovers). We only live about five minutes apart. Then for Christmas we have his family over on Christmas eve for a meal and gift exchange and then we are at my parents the next day after Santa presents are open at our house. I can't complain we have it very nice.
    Trinitysmom1205

Answer by Trinitysmom1205 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• They alernate, depending on work schedules of course. Sometimes they have a shift on Christmas..if that happens we just celebrat the last day off right before the holiday.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• *alternate
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am an adult who splits holidays. WE do Thanksgiving just us. Christmas is the big split and I must admit I hate it but it keeps the g-parents happy. We do my parents on Christmas eve (so we miss all church events) WE do his parents Christmas evening. (rushing the day.) Christmas morning is just for us. (but we can't do church because we have to rush off to the in-laws) I really wish we could do our own thing and make phone calls instead...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my husband has no family here. but we do have 1 son married. and for us we just celebrate our holidays the next day. theres no 4hours here and rush to in laws. the in laws have them all that day and the next day they stay with us all day . this works for us it may not work for everyone. can't wait i have family coming from out of state.
    rosemary640

Answer by rosemary640 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Our adult children have it kind of difficult especially my dd who has us her dad and stepmom and her husbands parents. Alot of times what I'll do is have the holiday at a different date but that makes me sad as then we are all alone on the holidays and it can be rather boring trying to see what we should do.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My dd and her new husband will most likely go to his mothers for Thanksgiving, her 3 children will be with their bio father
    Dh and I take our grandson and spend Thanksgiving with my MIL
    Christmas Eve this yr is at MIL's, Christmas Day is ours, My family gathering for Christmas will be early in Dec...
    bc my other 3 grandchildren will be with their bio father for Christmas, so we will celebrate a bit early...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We don't split up we get together at my house every year, and if they wanted to go somewhere else we would all go there.

Answer by older at 4:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010