Would you buy a 13-year-old a violent, rated M video game?

My nephew called me and specifically asked for the new Modern Warfare Black Ops video game that came out yesterday. Its rated M (In TX you have to be 17 to even buy it). I spoke to his mom, and she said that he was permitted to have it. I bought it, but now I'm regretting it. He's expecting the game. What would you ladies do?

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I know an 8 year old with it and surprise, surprise, he's a nasty kid. I think it's crazy.
    Anonymous

• LOL..mine has had worse since age 8 or 9.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't think it's appropriate. But now that you've already bought the game, your choices as I see them are:

A) Call the mom and explain that you just don't feel comfortable and ask what else you can get for him, then return the game.
    B) Figure someone's going to give it to him anyway, and since you've already bought it, it may as well be you.

You have to decide if your conscience will bother you if you give it to him. It would for me, but that's just how I am. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• BTW, the game doesn't raise my kid, I do. I knew mine could handle it and not have issues. Some kids don't need it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It depends on the maturity of the kid in question. If you're uncomfortable with it, I wouldn't give it as a gift. If he's expecting it, give him a Best Buy gift card or something and let his mom go with him to make the actual purchase.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have a 14 yr old that has been playing the rated M games like Modern Warfare for years and he is NOT violent. It depends on the child and if they know the difference between real and pretend. As a matter of fact he is getting Black Ops tomorrow. I don't think violent videogames alone makes a child nasty. I know kids that don't play any videogames that are nasty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Sure. We don't ever go by those stupid ratings... Children learn from the example their parents set for them and enforce, not from video games. My kids are far from violent, and they've never been sheltered from this stuff - EVER!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Mine plays games like that already with his dad and he is 4 lol
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• IF he is mature enough to handle it I see no problem.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• well my parents bought me violent video games and im not a violent person, but im also a girl so i dont know how that plays into it. if his mom says its okay for him to have it i would just give it to him if hes expecting it
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010