Let Me Tell You How To Parent Your Child

The headline is just a headline to the start of my question..

Have you ever had someone, anyone tell you how to parent your child? It is one thing if you ask for their opinion on something but it is a complete other for them to outright tell you what you should and shouldnt do. This is so annoying and irritating. I have had it done to me from family and from strangers. Even in public places!

If this has happened to you you can vent here. Name a situation you have been in that this has happened and what was it about/over, and their opinion.

I post this because it is one thing that aggravates me the most. I raise my child my way. It may not be perfect, but who's is?

PjsMommy06

Asked by PjsMommy06 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was told that I was raising a pussy because I taught my son to NOT be physical to someone who is bullying him. I taught him to tell an adult and let the adults take care of it. I did tell him that if someone is beating the snot out of him to defend himself, but if someone just pushes or is harassing, to TELL an adult. I would rather my child NOT get suspended or expelled.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't like to be told by strangers that I shouldn't let my child sleep with a pacifier. I know I need to break that habit (my oldest will be 3 in January), but that is my decision on how/when I should go about doing it. Furthermore, it is none of their darned business! lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with you a 100%. My problem has always been my MIL when she says " I never had these problems with my children" she raised a boy and a girl three years apart. I have 4 children, 14,6 twins 5...she has nooo idea what its like to walk in my shoes. AHHHHHH that felt good.
    christyx4

Answer by christyx4 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i guess i can name a situation i actually learned from. I don't get offended often. Usually if someone wants to voice their opinion... i will hear it. Thats all you have to do. You don't have to take the advice. You can choose not to. Anyways...i can recall a time when my son was just learning to pull up on stuff and he was knocking things over off the tables..i was the type of parent at first that was big into "no, no, don't do that, i said no"...then my grandma steps in..spanks my son on his hand. I was outraged! I told her to never hit him again. She said.."okay i wont but after your NO NO'S dont do any justice for you then maybe you will see if you try my method you will see he will listen" ....so i went about my way......kid never listened..and i finally caved in one day. I did have to have some coaching from my mamaw on how to go about it but it worked. I was amazed. My son is so well behaved.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My S/O's grandmother does this about everything I do with my son . The most irritating situation was about when he was only 4 or 5 months old , when ever I fed him when the bottle was empty he would cry a lil bit just too. She would get up and make him another bottle and say" feed my grandson your starving him". Mind you at 4 months he only needed 6 oz at a time, anymore and he would spit up. So I got to the point where I would have to tell her to just mind her own because I know my son and he is just fine.She didn't understand the attitude that I gave her, since I have limited his time with her for that reason.

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 5:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It does feel good to vent dont it lol please bump this question to get more peoples views and stories :)
    thank you all and have fun venting :)
    PjsMommy06

Comment by PjsMommy06 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i used to get it a lot but now i dont have friends soo... ;)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Not really, fortunately. I've had them give me suggestions, and of course my MIL tries to act like she knows everything, but no one has really ever insulted me with it. I do a pretty good job parenting and there honestly isn't much anyone can say.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Better to have friends that support you than friends who do not with or without a kid. My friends all disappeared after I had my son because they said I was tied down now and couldnt go out and party with them.. Please.. I am happy I am tied down to be parent that is a compliment more than an insult in my book.
    PjsMommy06

Comment by PjsMommy06 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was helping my older son with learning to talk as a baby. He had problems with the "-og" sound, which came out more like "-uck". Well, his favorite toy was a stuffed FROG. (You can see where this is leading....)

I was outside a store with him, coaching him to say "frog" correctly, and I was laughing and playing with him, because his expression when he grabbed the frog to hug it was so cute (oh come on, everyone knows THEIR baby is adorable!) and this woman LAUNCHED into me about teaching my son to curse!

Now, anyone who'd been watching me would have seen that he was doing the grabby-hand motion for his FROG and saying "FRUCK! FRUCK!" to which I was responding "Do you want your FROG?"

Grr... if you don't know the whole situation, MYOFB!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010