My 5 yr old hates school

I have twin boys whom both have entered kindergarten. The were separated this year and they both had went to all day preschool last year in the same school. My one boy Tyler hates school, hates doing work, fakes he is tired all the timew, refuses to do his work etc. The teacher loves him and isnt complaining but every day is a struggle for me and when I get papers sent home that says "Tyler refused to do this please have him do it at home" I want to cringe. His other brother Lucas is doing great gives me no problems, does all his work and is excelling big time. I have 4 kids and Tyler is the only oneI am having issues with. Any suggestions before I lose my mind?

christyx4

Asked by christyx4 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Could it possibly be from being separated from his brother? Maybe emotionally he wasn't ready even though his brother was.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• He could be having separation anxiety. I would keep working with him on it and eventually he will get used to things changing. Make sure he knows that you understand how he may be feeling and spend lots of time with him outside of school. I hope everything turns around for you soon. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thank you sooo much for your answers. I do feel that its from being separated but the school really thought they would succeed better with out each other every minute. Last year they fed off of eachother alot. This is killing me and to be honest its very tiring.
    christyx4

Comment by christyx4 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i agree about the separation anxiety he's to young to hate school. do they recommend for you to help out in the class room. when my boys do good at the end of the week theres a treat. like go to the red box, make a cake or have his special treat waiting for him at the end of the week and give him praise,hugs and when dad comes come tell dad and let dad praise him. good luck
    rosemary640

Answer by rosemary640 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It sounds like the school was wrong. Maybe it's better for them, but it doesn't sound like it's better for your son. Try putting them back together. Years ago, I had one of a set of twins in my class, her sister in another. They did so horrible without each other. They even got physically very ill. Once they were back together, WOWEE they did so much better.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It sounds like he is just having a hard time adjusting to school and being separated from his brother. Be patient, offer rewards and encouragement for efforts made, and hang in there. The first few months can be rough for a lot of kids.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• First of all hon, find out the reason why your son hates school. Is he being bullied? Could the work be a little more difficult for him to do & he doesn't know how to ask for help? Try setting up a conference with his teacher and you both get to the root of the reason why your son doesn't like school. Best wishes.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010