Has any one moved with an indoor cat.

I have done it once before, but that was only 45 away. Now we are moving 4 hours away. My DH wants to take her in his car, and have her loose with the litter in the back seat. His family used to vacation with their cats this way, driving for a week. I kind of think he is nuts, but the idea of having her in the carrier for 4 hours is not too pretty either. Any better ideas?

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• She'd do better in the carrier,trust me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• depends on the cat. My cat does better in the carrier and we have moved with him so many times. However that long I think its better to let him or her move around and sit on DH's lap or whatnot to be comforted. I think his idea sounds alright minus the smell he will endure if the cat poos lol
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I moved... with 7 cats. Honestly, I think having a cat loose in the back seat is a horrible idea, and dangerous, too. If she panicks for any reason, or starts racing around the car, he could get into an accident. Confining an animal while driving is a must. Whether that's in a carrier or (if the cat allows it) on a leash is up to you, but do NOT let a cat run loose in a moving vehicle! And seriously, 4 hours in a carrier isn't that big a deal...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We moved ours about 200 miles (3 hours) away-we tried without the carrier- she freaked out before we were out of the garage- so she went in the carrier-and meowed the entire way!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• she will freak out either way, but do the carrier. more for her safety. When you have bathroom breaks you can open the caiier door and let her stretch her legs if she wants to (dont let her run out of the car). Line the carrier with a familiar smelling blanket and some her favorite toys.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• LOL!! I knew it sounded like a bad idea. There is no way she will be sitting in his lap, she is not exactly a lap cat- I think he thinks that she will just sleep on the floor of the passenger side. He plans to put a blanket to cover that space, kind of make a tent. Our carrier is a tight fit for her...maybe we just need to invest in a bigger one.
    christinab313

Comment by christinab313 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• unless that cat has ridden in the car successfully before, I suggest a carrier.

I had a couple of cats who loved car rides, and would look out the windows like a dog... I know, weird. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I moved several states and put my cat in my dog's kennel with the litter box so she had more room but was still confined. If you already have one, can afford one, have a friend you can barrow one from or pick one up super cheap off of Craiglist I say go for that, other wise just keep the cat in its carrier. Better safe then sorry. the cat can cause an accident OR if your husband has to stop to get gas or use the restroom or anything the cat could get out as well.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• depends how quiet the cat is, a carriers best tho, stop when u can, cuddle and feed it etc
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I moved with 2 cats over 300 miles (with traffic about 6 hours). They were both in carriers the entire time with no problems. My older cat has a tendency to get carsick, so I limited their food before we left and he rode beside me in the carrier so I could keep an eye on him.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2010