What is a "homeroom mom"?

I just read the last question from a mom who said she was homeroom mom... What is that? I've never heard of that. We don't have parents in the classroom here, just teachers, so I'm a little lost! What's the reason for having them there? Are they there all day or just for special things?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe it's a mom who homeschools?
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My mom was always the home room mom. It's basically a mom that helps out in the classroom on special days, or when she's needed. She would help organize the class parties, etc., and always go on field trips. If it's an option when my son is in school, I'll definitely want to be the home room mom! I also went to a private school though, so maybe it's a private school thing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Okay so on ehow.com they say how to be a homeroom mom
    Attend "Meet the Teacher Night" at the beginning of school. Teachers usually have sign-up sheets asking for volunteers. Sign up to be a homeroom mom. If you missed the meeting, be sure to see the teacher and let her know you want to be a homeroom mom
    Go to all the meetings that are held for homeroom moms and conducted by the school. You will be introduced to your duties and the resources available to you. You will also be notified of all the rules and procedures that you will need to observe for class parties and school events.Send a note home with each student in the class to introduce yourself to their parents. Include your phone number, email address and express your excitement to be working with them, their children and the class teacher as the homeroom mom. You can find the rest at http://www.ehow.com/how_2156688_be-homeroom-mom.html idk though :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• In our school the homeroom mom is the teachers parent contact for special activities. The teachers don't have time to always plan the parties, or research the field trips, etc. So the the homeroom mom is the person she goes to to help "round up the troops". She isn't necessarily in charge of doing everything, but she's there to help make sure everyone does what they can and/or need to do for class activities. At our school the homeroom mom/parent is also the class ambassador to the PTA.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 5:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Way back when my son was in elementary school.. lol.. I was a homerooom mom.

That meant that I : was responsible for planning and putting on class parties, helping plan class field trips and participating as a chaperone, helping in the classroom as a teacher's helper on days she/he needed it or for projects they needed help with... that sort of thing.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• After reading the answers, it's no wonder I don't know what it is. Our school district doesn't allow that kind of thing. Parents are not permitted in the school besides the office... I still don't see a real reason though. But whatever, at least I know what it is now...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• a roommom helps out the teacher makes arragements for parties. no shes not there all day.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• ha hahha, When I taught, there were no parents to be found, and if any did sneak in, they weren't allowed to help with anything anyway. Now that we've moved, my kids classes have so many homeroom moms it's ridiculous!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The mom who organizes things for parties, volunteering in the class, teacher appreciation day, etc. I did it one year with another mom. I think it is better to have two moms do it, so in case one is unable to do something the other can step in.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010