Pagan altar ideas, inspiration, input, thoughts....

I don not have an altar & really want to set one up. I'm ok beginning to use it & acquire things as I go, not sure if that' agood idea, any opinions? In my home the only realtistic way to use it would be on the floor of my living, dining room or bedroom. It would be something I set out & put away, it's not realistic that I'd have it out all the time. I was just given a mortar & pestle & one very pretty tea tea light holder & am trying to decide if I'll include them & how. Also, any recomendations on common or household items that might be good to add?
Any input appreciated, thanks!

BubbaLuva

Asked by BubbaLuva at 5:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anything from nature that you enjoy.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 5:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Many base their altar decorations on the seasons. So at this point you could do fall leaves, pumpkins, squashes,etc. Those type of things. Candles or incense are good too especially if you want to meditate at your altar at some point during the day.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You know what you may want to do? Why not Google Alter Pictures? There are lots of pictures available of other people's alters... Personally, I don't keep one up because my DH is Christian and it makes him uncomfortable. But I do have a daily devotional "bowl" which I use for my daily work. It's simply a large wooden bowl, filled with stones that I then placed bowls for incenses, water, salt & I have 3 candles in it as well (gold, silver & white)... As I find little things like stones, leaves, feathers or other things which stand out, I add them from time to time as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Here is some good info and I think there are some pictures here too...

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/glossary/g/altar.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• To make it more portable, when you aren't using it, set it up on a bed tray. Then you can lift the whole thing without packing it ALL up and store it on the floor of a closet. Basic needs are: 2 white taper candles and holders to serve as altar candles. An altar cloth of some kind to protect the area from dripping wax. I've used cloth placemats in single colors and have embroidered each of them with a pentacle, though others might prefer the triple goddess symbol, the triqueta or some symbol of importance to them. You'll need a lighter--or long matches--devoted ONLY to lighting the altar candles. And a wand--either homemade or bought--for drawing the circle and directing the magick energy. I have a dowel wand that I decorated, plus three or four boughten ones. All of mine have worked equally well. A clear quartz crystal would also be good. I have feathers on my altar. Decorate yours to YOUR taste!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone, really great suggestions. Sabrina I'm googling, too but, I sorta "know" the Pagans in Q & A so I wanted to hear from them. Mama, I've actually looked at those pics before & they are awesome. Witch, I like the bed tray idea.

My SO isn't totally comfortable because, although he's in no way religious, he still has some of the "ghosts" of his Christian up bringing floating around. That it's "opening a door" to something bad, or whatever. But, I think it's more tht he just isn't used to it & it's not his thing. He regularly "accuses" me of casting spells on him, really dumb stuff, & I always tell him he underestimates my abilities ;) But, I want to respect his comfort. I'll let you know how it works out!
    BubbaLuva

Comment by BubbaLuva (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010