How are smoothies good for you if they have so much sugar grams?

I'm confused. I recently learned how to control my diet by watching sugar grams. In reality, we only need like 20 grams a day. Well, today, I bought my usual healthy smoothie only to notice that it contains 65 grams of sugar... WTH?? How is that healthy? Nutrionista's HELP!

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 5:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• Fruit has natural sugar in it. They still put that down as sugar. You need to look at if they added sugar to it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Make them at home. No added sugar

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• fruit has fructose sugar which isn't so bad for you in moderation. I use to make fruit smoothies a lot but now I make vegy smoothies and just add an apple,banana or whatever I have on hand to make it taste slightly sweet.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I make them at home with only fresh/frozen fruit ( no sugar added) yogurt and ice...yummy and healthy!!
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Invest in a good blender and make them at home.
    Then you know for sure exactly what you are drinking.
    I make a smoothie with 1 frozen banana, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk and a scoop of Juice Plus Complete smoothie mix = 145 calories, 6 grams of sugar
    www.mywellnessgirl.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010