i have a 11 year granddaughter that wants to be the boss of me and her cousins

what do i do how do i get her to respect me and her cousins and quit trying to tell us what to do?

grandmother103

Asked by grandmother103 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh I would go nuts! I have a niece like that right now she is 12. Her mom is her puppet and she is so disrespectful to everyone it is insane!!! I want to knock her teeth out, and beat her butt. As a matter of fact I was just arguing with her a minute ago about her bossing my 4 year old around and treating him like he is crap on the bottom of her shoe for no reason!
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Many times kids doing this are just wanting some attention. Does she get enough one on one time with you , her mom, her dad? And praise when she does things right? Looking at these things might be the answer plus talking to her calmly and lovingly that the bossing is not allowed. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• What does her mom say when you tell her about it?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Be the ADULT and don't let her. YOU are the adult, teach her the respect. If she disrespects you or anyone else, then IGNORE her. Tell her that until she respects you and others. She is a child and you are the adult.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with tyfry! Why are you allowing her to disrespect you? Take charge of the situation and let her know that you are in charge, not her.
    bradandadamsmom

Answer by bradandadamsmom at 5:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• maybe everyone needs to treat her the way she treats every one else just for a day. or when she is being bossy, disrespectful you need to tell her not to speak to you or ask you for any thing unless she apologizes and the reason she is asking forgiveness. Or maybe roll play for a day let her be the boss meaning she will be the mother for a day even a few hours ask her for a drink in a bossy way to make this short act like her. she needs to understand the being a kid is great good luck.
    rosemary640

Answer by rosemary640 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My 12 YO (so far) hasn't had any issues, but on occasion kids from her school get a little out of hand. It's amazing how firmly telling them their bahavior/attitude is NOT okay will turn them right around. And don't pull any punches. You can be polite and respectful yourself, but a smile or singsong voice is completely unnecessary.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my friends daughter tries to do stuff like that and she does it to her mom. i dont stand for that. you need to put your foot down. so what if shes made at you . she will lose friends acting that way.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have a granddaughter who is 14 and has being doing that for at least 2 yrs. I talk to my son. She is not my daughter. And I do not discipline someone's else child. I just back off and don't say anything to her unless she is nice to me.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010