I think I did a selfish Oops

I am an animal lover.. big time but very allergic to most.. well I have 2 cats and have always wanted "one more" I have a 3 year old and on halloween my mom's neighbor had 1 kitten left and my husband Finally "caved" I think to shut me up more than anything but all I said was Awh.. look honey.. and he said You can have her.. I usually beg and he says no and thats the end of it.. we didn't NEED another cat/kitten - Its like a running joke I want every animal I see on TV and he laughs it off... long story short *sorry* I caught my son this morning pressing holding the kitten down until she was crying, I instantly grabbed her and scolded him while teaching him its not ok, but he smiled at me the whole time and now I wonder what was I thinking?? he's 3... why would i get a kitten? I was SO selfish and Now I don't know if we should keep her.. we have 2 cats that are 9 years old he could care less about...that should have been enou

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly, 3 is old enough to know better.... My son is 2, and I have 7 cats, most of which are REALLY old (17 and over). My son knows to be careful with them, and whenever he gets rough with them (usually just because he gets excited, not because he's trying to hurt them), I just remind him to be gentle, and show him how to pet them.

Of course, if you're really worried about the kitten's safety, you should either keep them separated for now, or find a good home for her...

Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• well even though your ds is 3 he's old enough to know better, remind him that he will be in trouble if he hurts that kitten again
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• In my opinion he needs to learn at an early age what is ok with animals and I don't think you are being selfish. We have had kittens/cats since my son was 2 so just watch him and work with him.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Agree with Josiesmommy00. He knows better but sometimes a little scolding and reminder never hurt.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Show him over and over how to be gentle with the cat.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• maybe not so much a question but maybe just a sad vent/ not sure what to do right now out loud thought... :(
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010