I have a VERY JEALOUS 20 month old... and Two on the way!! I need advice!!

My 20 month old girl is very jealous i cant even pick up my baby brother who just turned one... or my sisters twins boys they just turned one as well,... Even if they are across the room and i talk to them she will scream and come jump on me!! I know its just phase but what am i supposed to do when the twin girls are born?? She isnt gonna want me to pick them up at all!!

vero.luna

Asked by vero.luna at 5:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats where you have to step in a be the mommy. Set guidelines and boundaries. Also make sure you spend time with just her, leaving the other children out of it. She needs to know that she is still your baby even if there are other babies in the house. She will learn eventually. She may even take over being mamma bird for ya. My stepkids were very jealous of their dad's time when I came around...now when our daughter came into the picture they fight to get her attention, not his. LOL.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 5:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I would make an effort to spend special one on one time with her and be sure to make her a part of the planning of the arrival of her twin sisters! Have her help to buy them a gift and go out and buy something "from the twins" for her. This will make her feel special and more included and should help to reduce her jealosy. Just keep reminding her that she is an awesome big sister!
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 6:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Start on some books about new baby brothers and sisters. you have to tell her to stop because it is alright to share mommy sometimes.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• There is a difference between "other" babies and "HER" baby. You start establishing that now. Include her on the preparation for her new siblings. If you're painting a room, let her help pick out the color. Let her "help" assemble baby furntirure, etc. Read "I'm a Big Sister Now" by Joanna Cole with her. Let her help sort the old baby clothes. Play up the perks of big-sisterhood. I took DS to the store and let him pick out a special gift for his baby sister. *She* also arrived at the hospital with special gifts for her big brother. ;) Get a stash of small toys for your daughter. When people arrive with presents for the baby and nothing for her, pull from the stash. Many people WILL remember the big (adjusting to new world) sibling but some won't. Include her in their care. Make LOTS of special time for her - nap time, split time between you and DH so she's got one-on-one.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2008