What are the best ways to childproof your home without buying the expensive Childproofing stuff?

I once saw that someone bought the little "noodles" that you put into the pool and instead cut a chunk out of them and used velcro to place it around the edges of their fireplace to make it not sharp.... Any other tricks out there?

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 5:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• if your cabinets have handles use tight fighting bungie cords then a large one around the fridge with one hook on the freezer handle and another on the fridge handle
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I tied some pretty ribbon (not long enough for the baby to get wrapped up in) around my cabinets so that he couldn't open them and get into them. I also use the toy chain link things from one side of the door knob to the other to prevent him from pinching his little fingers when he tries to close the door.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The only child proofing stuff we bought was for the cabinets. My MIL made our daughter small quilt like blankets every month for the first year, so I have a bunch of those on our fireplace. A lot of stuff just got moved to higher ground for awhile. My husband made the computer's on/off button and reset buttons so they do not work. You have to use a key like thing to to turn on the computer.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Honestly, I didn't get any of the baby proofing stuff, I guess I just "house proofed" my baby, instead...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• just buy the stuff honestly..not all is very expensive is you shop around online...It is worth every penny
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010