Would you hold your child a back a year from starting kindergarten?

To give him or her the extra edge? If you did, you are not alone.

The "red-shirting" debate - link to full article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704635704575604711735057280.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in

• My son was on the threshold (turned 5 in September) and I didn't push it. I thought a year in preschool would be good for him to get used to the structure. I think school is hard enough for an active boy, I figured I would just respect the cut off and he will go next year. I probably will do the same for my daughter, not to give them and edge, just to give them time to be ready.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Nope I wouldnt.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I didn't even consider that---because they were definitely ready to go. They did just fine.
    My Mom held me back because i had lotsof colds and she was overprotective. :-) I wouldn't have , but that was her decision.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Hell no. My daughter is on the threshold birthday-wise, and I'm fighting to get her in early.
    Anonymous

• I didn't. My middle dd's birthday is in August and she has always been one of the youngest in her class but it has had no effect on her whatsoever.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We should have kept our youngest back a year because of his maturity level. He finally did OK with a lot of guidance.
    Anonymous

• I kept one of mine back - not to give her an edge, but because she just was not ready to start kindergarten the fall she was 5 - mentally, emotionall, socially - she just was not ready. I don't feel bad doing it either, and she doesn't know any different. Most of the kids in her class will be in the same shoes - old enough to be in the grade above.
    Anonymous

• No. My son is would be bored in kindergarten if I did. He is already bored in pre-k b/c he is ahead of his classmates. Plus maturity wise he is well above his age. His preschool teacher is having to give him extra work b/c he wants to talk when he is bored. I really thought a private preschool, we would not have this problem. B/c their curriculm is harder.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i kept my oldest back because he turned 5 in august and just wasn't mature enough yet for kindergarten. it worked well for him to start at 6.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 5:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I kept my 5 yr old son out this year - sept 8th is his b-day.. the local system says they need to be 5 by the end of july ... so they could test him to see if he could do it... socially i dont think he was mature enough. and i am so glad i waited. he is blossoming with skills in prek and really becoming a leader. i think it will help his confidence, who wants their kid to be the youngest kid in the class? i think we need to be looking at the children as individuals rather than just an age, a number, some random standard to evaluate readiness. i remember to enter K when i was in school, you had to know your ABC's numbers, be able to tye your shoes, telll your phone number and address. they made sure you were mentally READY!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010