Biting and Breastfeeding: What to do?

I have a 3 month old that is starting to get into the habit of biting me when I nurse. When she does I stop and tell her "no, bite that hurts mama" wait then continue. I'm not sure if she could be a early teether or not but just how much can you do at this young of an age and get through to them. Or do I just quit breastfeeding early because she wants a bottle instead?
A Confused Frustrated Mama

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From the day babies are born they can learn what is ok and whats not, telling her no and stopping will eventually get through that when she bites she doesn't get to feed. My son is 3 months old also and doesn't bite very often, thankfully.

Good luck
    Addi
    addix2

Answer by addix2 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Telling 3 month old no will have little or no effect, baby is just too young. Do not give up and go to bottles, this is just a bump in the road that will pass. If baby is having some bottles you may want to take away any that you can as they can cause confusion and make the biting harder to get rid of.
    Baby CAN NOT bit you when properly latched on and nursing as baby's tongue is extended over where her bottom teeth will be. Try to observe when baby tends to bite down (often it is at the end of the feeding when baby is no longer actively sucking/swallowing and is more just hanging out on the breast. Take baby off the breast whenever she is not actively nursing. That way she cannot bite you! You won't have to do this forever, probably just a week or two.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why would you assume that she wants a bottle just because she is biting you?

Stick your finger in her mouth and break the latch or pull her into you so she has to release. It's just a phase. You can get through it. ;)
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 7:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Telling her a firm 'no' is about the only thing you can do at this point. Don't give up yet, mama!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Don't tell her no - babies don't understand the word until around 18 months. Don't stick your finger in to break her latch either. When she starts biting down, pull her in towards you - "smother" her with your breast, for lack of a better term - she will let go on her own within 1-2 seconds. As soon as she lets go pull her away, and keep her off the breast until she starts clamoring for more milk, then put her back on. If she tries to bite again, do it again. I did this, after being advised of it from lactation consultants - it worked, wonderfully!
    Anonymous