Have you ever faked being happy or courteous?

Guess it can be bad for your health ...
Researchers in the study, published last July in the journal Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, asked 32 women and 27 men to play the role of a customer-service employee dealing with a rude customer who was angry about purchasing a product that was broken.

The participants weren't allowed to promise a refund or to hand the customer off to someone else. Half of them were told "the customer is king" and were instructed to remain friendly and calm. The other half were told they could react naturally to customers, expressing annoyance or frustration.

The participants who were required to remain calm posted sharp increases in blood pressure; the increases were more marked among men than women, according to researchers at two German universities.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• Almost every shift at my job...

I'm a server....can't get an attitude or argue or tell 'em like it is no matter how wrong they are. It doesn't matter that I've worked there for almost 4yrs and I'm a trainer, therefore I know what's on the menu and/or been on the menu, I still get arguments that "oh, well we had that last week in here." uuummmm...no you didn't, we haven't had that since way before I started....and that's only the mildest "confrontation"
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yep, every time I talk to my MIL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Nope. If I'm unhappy, everyone knows it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i have with certain friends and family members. but at work, hell no, i dont hold anything back. i literally hate people that treat employees like garbage just because they KNOW they can. i havent worked since i had kids so before i was a kid myself and i did not care, i gave exactly what i got on the job. and if i got fired, i just went on to the next place. employees should be treated with respect, too! not like slaves or dogs! now when i get back into the work field, i will avoid at all costs and customer service jobs, because i know i am not a people person!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• *any, not and.
    tnm786

• DUH. I have customers that send my blood pressure skyrocketing just hearing their NAMES!

But you know what makes me more ill? Not eating cause I got fired for shooting off my mouth.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I used to do that but now if I am miserable, everyone is miserable. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• How do you fake being courteous? You can fake liking it, but if you are being courteous, you are.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The findings have implications for employee health, because such stresses over time could overwork the cardiovascular system and put employees at higher risk of illness.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704635704575604711735057280.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010