Febrile Seizures?

Has anyone else's child ever had a febrile seizure? My daughter had 2 at 9 months and 2 at 15 onths old. They diagnosed her with Complex febrile seizures. It was they scariest thing that has ever happened to me! It has been a lil over a year since she has had one, but I still freak out anytime she is sick or feverish.

punkypreggo

Asked by punkypreggo at 6:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My child has febrile trigger seizures, which are a little different as he has been diagnosed with epilepsy. I agree that it is one of the scariest things ever. Hasn't had a seizure in about 7 months, but every time he gets a cold I do feel like I over react and watch practically every breath and step the child takes. Happily, he's much more relaxed about it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yes. He had one at 2. At 6 he had one that made him stop breathing and he was rushed to the hospital in the ambulance. The EEG showed nothing wrong. The doc thinks that due to his autism,he has a "thermostat" issue in his brain that way overreacts to the slightest virus. So far we've gone 3 yrs without any issues.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My daughter has them too. I learned a lot with them and I can tell when she is going to have one. She gets really weak like and just lies around and moans in her sleep. Her fever can be very low too, like 100, doesn't even have to be high. I don't quite understand them. I know they are caused by fevers, but the fevers concern me. She will get a fever all of a sudden with no signs of being sick and then be having a seizure on you. Luckily she hasn't had one in about 2 years. When she starts acting funny I give her motrin ( tylenol doesn't work) and put cold wash cloths on her head and give her popsicles. I have to keep giving her the motrin every 4 hours for at least 24 hours, sometimes more, but so far...it has helped. I can't stand seeing my baby go through that. All you can think about it long term damage and something really bad happening, it is terrible!!!!
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i had one son that did this once. it made me very sad and a little scared. his fever wasn't high at all. we never did anything other than breastfeed him often. he has only had the one. it is my understanding that (as long as there are no neurological issues or concerns) then a febrile seizure will rarely cause long term damage.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010