Cell phone in your pocket - a health risk?

Some Cell Phone Makers Warn Against It; Large Study Shows Possible Hiked Brain Tumor Risk Among Long-term Heavy Users, Excerpt from article by Jennifer Ashton, CBSnew.com.

"If you read the fine print on your particular phone (in its users' manual, say, Apple: They say, for wireless data transmission over a cellular network, keep the iPhone at least 15 millimeters (5/8ths of an inch) away from the body. If you look at what BlackBerry says, they'll say keep the BlackBerry device at least 0.98ths of an inch from your body when the device is transmitting. If you put it in a holster, probably it will be over these minimum distance requirements. But if you slip it in your pocket, either your shirt pocket or pants pocket, it's gonna be directly next to your skin."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• Yup. I knew this. I keep my phone away from my body and I limit my time on the phone because of this.

It's worst when there is little signal because it is working harder.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i don't carry my phone in my pocket for that reason.
    when the phones used to have antennae that extended out, the phone manufacturers recommended extending them to kind of direct the radiation away from your head.
    i get a little nervous when my kids talk on the phone.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That is one of the reasons I rarely use my cell phone and keep it turned off and tucked inside my purse all the time. I don't really need a cell phone but my kids want me to have one for emergencies. I guess ts a good idea. I would rather talk t people face to face or e-mail them or use my land line. One of my pet peeves is seeing people with a cell phoe attached to their ear and taking LOUDLY while communicating EVERYWHERE! What did people do BEFORE cell phones??? LOL.
    It s crazy.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010