Potty training: DS says "Good job!" even when he poops in his undies.

So I'm still working on my toddler pooping in the potty. He'll poop in his undies and when I dump the poop out into the potty or toilet to show him where it's supposed to go, he exclaims, "Good job! Poo-poo in the potty!" I'm trying to stay positive & don't want to discourage him, but I'm worried he thinks that is enough. What can I say to "correct" him without discouraging him??

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 6:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would tell him the truth. No you did not do a good job. Pooping in your pant is not a good job. Sitting on the toilet and pooping is a good job.
    What you should be doing is bringing him to the toilet and stilling him on it. to make him understand where to poop.

Answer by louise2 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't think telling him good job when he poops his pants is a great idea.He'll expect positive re enforcement for negative behavior. How about praising when he does do it, and no response or reaction when he poops his pants.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We're not quite there yet. Last week when I last tried that, he fought and fought, even crying for a diaper (even though he only now wears undies or pull-ups for naps/nighttime). In an effort to reduce the stress, I backed off and let him just stand over the potty so I could drop the poop in easily. Even though I say that's where the poop goes, and not on Buzz or Woody (his preferred undies). It's like once he started seeing the poop drop in the potty, he started thinking that's how it's done!
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• @Musicmom80, the weird thing was, I wasn't praising him when I dropped the poop down. I just kept repeating that that's where it belongs and not in his undies. I've been praising him for pee, so I guess he somehow associated getting anything in the potty deserves a "Good job!"

I will try not saying anything next time.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• awe thats so cute ...i wudnt stress so much he will get it ..
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 6:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That's fine, I show my son where it needs to go too. But I would never tell him he did a good job for pooping his pants. Be careful with that method too! He may start thinking pooping his pants THEN putting it in the toilet is how it goes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• That really is cute......frustrating, I know, but cute. :) Have you tried a reward of any type? Keep at it he will get it. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Stickers and yogurt-covered raisins worked with pee, but he's more resistant with poop. I have a whole table that displays toys I know he wants, and in a couple of occasions, he's tried to take one after I dumped his poop in the potty - but I always remind him those are for when he actually poops in there. Right now we're working with coins, which he loves to drop in his piggy bank, but even that's not motivating him.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You don't mention his exact age. He just might not be able to do it yet. Especially knowing the toys are rewards. A lot of moms have said the 3 day method is great. You might want to read about that online (Google).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This might sound a little crazy but has he watched you poop? It might help him to actually see how it's done, to put the pieces together of what he is supposed to do. And to see that it is ok and not scary. I feel like I sound crazy but my DD is fascinated by my bathroom goings on and when she sees me go potty she then wants to do the same thing. And when he says "good job" as you empty his poop in the toilet I would not scold him but it is ok to tell him that it isn't a good job, that he needs to sit on the toilet and poop for it to be a good job, but that he can try it again next time. I think you're right not to force it and make it stressful or scary for him at this point, it's better to be calm and patient but firm. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010