How do you stop a 3 year old from biting?

My dd has already been broke from this once but has started again since she has been living with her dad. She is in daycare but she was also in daycare the first time we had this issue. She has a terrible temper but we still don't condone biting.

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 5:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find out what is frustrating her. Don't shut her down... she needs something and is trying to tell you.
    There is a great book... "Teeth are not for biting" Might help put some perspective on it for her. Good luck.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my daughter did it for the first time in awhile the other night and i just smacked her in her mouth like i did before not to hard but hard enough to teach her she dont bite she hasnt yet so it must of worked
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Bite her back. When my son was two he bit his cousin (she was 8) really hard on the hip. She bit him back really hard and he never bit again. My sister used to bite my brothers on the inside of their thighs. Mom told them to bite her back. Once they did she stopped biting them.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 7:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• She is biting her sister and when we ask why all she says is " Lilli made me mad." She says she bites the big kids at daycare, if that is so where is the teachers and why hasn't this been mentioned to her father? I painted her bare behind red and put her in time out over the weekend . When I let her out of time out she apologized to her sis on her own and said she wouldn't do it anymore.
    KallaLilli

Answer by KallaLilli at 9:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008