So just because our kids know the R rated video games and movies aren't real, we should let them do it anyway?

For me, I'm not worried about my son becoming a violent, sex crazed fiend over media and games, however, there is so much garbage out there that he sees on a daily basis, I don't need to bring it into my home too. My home is a safehaven from this rough world. I'm sure he could handle it, I tought him well,but what for? What is it really doing for his life? I can think of better ways for my son to spend his time. He's ok with that too.
He's not sheltered, he has actually seen quite a bit, life has it's way of doing those things, but at home is where we get our break from it.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because they can handle it, we should buy it?
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't believe in an all or nothing approach. Some things are fine, others aren't. It's on a case by case basis. It has nothing to do with my sons' ability to distinguish what's real and and what isn't. I'm not the type of parent who allows horror movies of any sort, and some movies are too 'dark' for me to allow my children to watch, anyway. But some movies, especially action movies involving superheroes is fine in my house.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• it does come to a point on what i let my kids watch they're to young to play video games i mean some people think its fine for there kids to see all the gore and nudity in movies and games i don't. i would have to kinda agree with Ginger0104
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 7:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• you guys do realize I'm agreeing with you, right? :)
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yea, I'm not super filtered with the kids, but I do still censor what they are allowed to watch and play. I didn't let them have play guns, either...not because I thought it would encourage the behavior, but because I felt like it was improper to role play in that manner. There can't be anything good about it.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 7:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It is not necessary to have this stuff in the home when we do have it at home it just confirms to them that there is no harm to it and makes it okay, nothing wrong with it if it is at home.
    They will see these things at other peoples houses but in the back of that kids mind he/she is thinking wow this would never be allowed at my house and they appreciate that, that we are setting boundries for what is accepted and what is not.....they will never learn between right and wrong if we okay everything that is going on in the world
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's not about whether they can handle it or not or how they understand it being different from reality. It's entertainment and some people, adults or children, find that more entertaining them the lesser rated things. It's personal preference and if one person doesn't feel it's needed in their house that's okay. Nobody is forcing it upon anyone, regardless of how aggressive advertising and media is anymore. It is what we allow as parents for our children to whitness in our homes. If one mother says it's okay for her child, then that's her responsibility to teach her children the difference between that and reality. If another mother says it's not okay, then that's their responsibility not to hoard them in the house and protect them from the big bad world as well. I think that you've found a nice middle ground. You know your child is strong and can differenciate between the two, but you also don't feel that he needs to view it
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• you rockthanks jazz, that was really nice!

Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010