exczema

ok i was wondering what is the best baby lotion to use i jus found out my daughter has exczema any suggustions

senior_2OO8

Asked by senior_2OO8 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• find out the cause of her eczema. try cutting dairy first. is she formula or breast fed? how old is your daughter?
    be aware of what you are bathing her with, washing her clothes in, putting on her skin...even the baby wipes. all of those things could contain something that your daughter's skin and body do not like.

here is my concern with lotions and medicated creams...
    just pretend your lo is allergic to cow milk (or sensitive)
    lets say you find a lotion that calms her skin down and continue to feed the cows milk to her.
    how will the body deal with the milk now that it can't express itself through skin eruptions?

same goes for a contact issue with a chemical.
    say dd's body does not like fragrance and breaks out when in contact. you put lotion on, it "heals" the skin, only until you "injure" it again.

try to find the trigger of the outbreaks, it can be very hard, but is the best thing in the long run.

GL
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Plain old Aveeno worked wonders for us as well as baby lotion. You can also try Eucerin or Aquaphor. all of these are great for eczema
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would advise against lotion. Lotions tend to irritate my DD's eczema. We use a few things...not all at once...rx steroid ointment when it's BAD, aquaphor, Vaseline, Crisco, OTC hydro-cortisone cream when it's flaring up, but not BAD yet...oatmeal baths, benadryl for the itching (keep in mind that my DD is 5, and although she has been taking benadryl as needed since infancy, we ALWAYS get the right dose from the doctor. I DO NOT recommend using benadryl unless specifically advised to by the doctor and given the proper dose)

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my dd has eczema. she is 3 yrs now. we avoid eggs, and milk products. i bath her in lukewarm water every other day and used avenno products.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• shes olny two mnths i was her clothes in gain she takes a bath every other night and i use the night time bady wash she is formula feed she drink similca sensitive
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Aveeno worked best for my son but each kiddo is different. Aquaphor also worked decently.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• aquaphor
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Is the detergent free and clear? If not, try switching to a free and clear one. It MIGHT help. You could also bathe her a little more infrequently. Pat dry and IMMEDIEATLY cover all affected areas with something like vaseline/aquaphor to seal in the moisture. How bad is her eczema?

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• did you try soy before a sensitive formula?
    i am guessing she is on a sensitive formula because of digestive reasons?
    maybe she really can't handle cow milk?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• change the laudry sopa. get all free and clear. also dont use the body wash, that will only make it worse. only avenno products or cethaphil.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010