Punishment for a 3 year old girl.

It's one thing for her to paint the toilet with fingernail polish once. But when it's 4 times this week, what am I supposed to do?!? This time, she cut her hair. This is the second time we've been through this. The last time was a few months back, and it went from more than 1/2 way down her back to chin length. It's finally down to her shoulders, and she cut 3 chunks out. This time, I can hide them a little, but how do I punish that?? I've tried time outs, spankings, making her clean the mess, lectures, taking away privileges, everything I can think of! Help... :(

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 6:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She has some sort of "currency".........that thing which is most important to her. Take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. Also, is she getting enough one on one time with you? And praise when she does things right? Lots of times kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention.. Just ideas............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Goodness! I would hide the nail polish and skizzers :) some place where she will never find it!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• How about not having cutting tools where a 3 year old can get to them in the first place? After the first time my child got ahold of something potentially poisoness like finger nail polish or dangerous like sissors i would have made sure they were where it couldnt be gotten to. I really cant give you punishment advise on this since it is partially your faught for having dangerous things with in reach and for her being where youa rent watching her long enough for her to have gotten them. Long enought t o pant a toilet or cut hair is long enough to drink something or stab out an eye.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'm having similar issues on how to punish my 3yr old dd. Haven't had the cutting of hair issue pretty much cause dh shaves his head. She did cut the curtains, but she's pouring everthing out everwhere!
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 6:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Wildwiccan - A) I'm living in a house that is not mine. Due to financial and other hardships, I was forced to live with others. I can not tell them where to keep their nail polish. However, with the nail polish, my daughter did it while she was using the restroom. Again, due to things that have happened, I do not accompany her to the restroom unless she needs me too. I give her 2 minutes before checking on her. B) The scissors were not in there when I cleaned it this morning. I suppose the people I am living with put in them in THEIR drawer before they left the house. Again, she was alone for 2 minutes. She has been taught it is wrong to get into these things. Which is why a punishment is needed. I take great offense to you judging me. If you don't want to give advice, then don't, but there is no reason to chastise me.
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Aitson: Mine hasn't been pouring things out. But she has been moving things. And dragging her toys and blankets into rooms they don't belong, hiding things that aren't hers... If you figure it out, let me know!
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If the living conditions were too dangerous for my 3 year old and me to be living in... I would find a new place. What if she really seriously injures herself with those scissors?
    Mommy2Jolee

Answer by Mommy2Jolee at 6:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Eliza: The currency idea sounds like I good idea... She gets plenty of one on one time, and praise... Not sure what the negative behavor is about...

Mommy2Jolee: Moving isn't an option right now.
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It seems like both of these things happened when she was unattended in the bathroom. If it were your house I would say maybe kid proof the bathroom but since you can't do that maybe she needs to lose the privilege of being unsupervised in the bathroom. You could stand in the doorway or even in the bathroom (with your back turned if she needs privacy) so that you are there and she can't get into anything. Maybe a lock on the outside of the bathroom at the top of the door, which would be cheap and easy to install and remove later, so the bathroom can be locked when not in use.
    I'm not trying to be alarmist but I would be worried at this acting out, and the hiding things, etc. They could be normal boundary tests but they could be red flags that something is wrong, too. I'm sure you're in tune, I just wanted to mention it. I would be trying to stop the behavior but also to find out why she is acting out so. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My 3yr old has painted her bed with nail polish so now she has to life with an ugly bed her punishment for that was that I was not going to paint her nails for a month and she likes to go to my sisters to go play with my niece or spend the night so I did not let her go for 2weeks and than she cut her bangs I was super mad so I sent her to her room and she had to stay in her bed and I also didnt go out with anyone for a month so no stay overs or going over to play she has not done either of the 2 ever since good luck...
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 12:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2010