I would like to get power of attorney over my stepson.

I want to adopt my stepson but my mother in law is adamant about it. What should I do?

Lori0911

Asked by Lori0911 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Adoption

• You are gonna need more details than that to get a decent accurate answer. Power of attorney is different from adoption.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Call some attorneys and ask if they specialize in adoptions (I saw your other question too) and ask if they offer a complimentary first time consulattion. You can find out about POA also.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think what you want is to be legally recognized as his guardian so you can take him to the doctor and sign without your husband along, be directedly involved in his education etc. That shouldn't be a problem for anybody because it doesn't "erase" his mother, and it gives the child additional protection. I understand about grandparents being touchy about taking the bio-mom's name off the birth certifcate and making her parents' legal strangers to the child. But the day-to-day of parenting sometimes requires a legal document that a step-parent doesn't automatically get. BTW is the bio-mom just out of the picutre or has she passed away?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010