Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would like to get power of attorney over my stepson.

I want to adopt my stepson but my mother in law is adamant about it. What should I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Lori0911 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Adoption

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • You are gonna need more details than that to get a decent accurate answer. Power of attorney is different from adoption.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • Call some attorneys and ask if they specialize in adoptions (I saw your other question too) and ask if they offer a complimentary first time consulattion. You can find out about POA also.

    Answer by elizabr at 6:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • I think what you want is to be legally recognized as his guardian so you can take him to the doctor and sign without your husband along, be directedly involved in his education etc. That shouldn't be a problem for anybody because it doesn't "erase" his mother, and it gives the child additional protection. I understand about grandparents being touchy about taking the bio-mom's name off the birth certifcate and making her parents' legal strangers to the child. But the day-to-day of parenting sometimes requires a legal document that a step-parent doesn't automatically get. BTW is the bio-mom just out of the picutre or has she passed away?

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.