Have you ever been arrested or in jail?

Please post annonymously as I don't want any bashing. Curious if any other moms have ever been arrested for any reason & did it change you?
I have a felony record. Theft by deception. I felt horrible about it at time-but was so emotionally & financially distraught I did it anyway. I was in jail over night-horrible horrible! I was sentenced to 2 yrs probation which I got ended within 15 months due to extremely good behavior, 100 hrs of community service & did 350 within 14 months, restitution-I paid back even before sentencing. I now live my life where I GIVE BACK [as in volunteering, donating to worthy causes, helping out anyone else] twice as much now.NowI have to do more good deeds than maybe other people because I should have listened to that voice in my head that said "this is wrong. You know it's wrong." I did something stupid & other people paid a price for it. I have to live w/that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I've never been in jail, but I just want to say that I am impressed with you. You did something very, very wrong, and you knew that when you did it. But you've changed, you admit that you did wrong and that it was no one's fault but your own, and not only have you made amends, but you've gone above and beyond that to do more. That's more than a lot of people with a criminal history would do. I can't say that I'm proud of you, per se, but I do respect you for that.
    Anonymous

• My father was the under sheriff where we live for over 20 years and his office was in the same building as the jail...when I was there I would talk to trustees, or we would even use the jail kitchen to make food for county benefits and such and I would talk to volunteer inmates there. There really are two types of people in there...thugs that will always be thugs, and those who are good people who made bad decisions. You know, the type where you feel bad that the one mistake they made in life is going to haunt them everywhere they go. Its amazing the difference. Those that simply made a mistake are willing to work and volunteer and try to get themselves together (ged classes, work release...that sort of thing), and the thugs are content to sit around loafing all day long almost enjoying their time there.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• cont...so my answer is no, I've never been arrested or anything, but I don't think everyone who has made a mistake in their life should carry a stigma forever.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I've worked in a couple of jails and have found that a lot of the time it is just a revolving door with the inmates. They would say that they are going to make changes when they get out, but I would usually see them right back in there. It's nice to see that you see the wrong in what you did and have learned from it. Good for you!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 6:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I did a lot of things that should have landed me in jail many times. I always got away i was a horriable person i hurt others but i have changed your past may have a huge influence on who you are today but that does nto mean you have to be a bad person now just because you were then. People can change reguardless of what people say. I used to do meth and now i would never touch tabacco I used to drink all the time and now i havent in over 3 years. I also used to use people and now i help everyone i come in contact with as long as they are willing to take the help i can offer. No i dont give them help that would hurt them in any way i really care and try to help everyone i can as long as it wont affect me or my family in a bad way.
    Anonymous

• My whole family works in various local prison systems and my dad worked in a new facility. After walking in on the tour and hearing the gates do a powerful SLAM there is no way I ever thought of doing wrong. I was terrified. Ive seen moms do things really stupid just to be doing it and received alot of time for it. Some of them just continue doing it but others learn from it. Im very proud of you for doing something positive and you are a excellent role model.
    Anonymous

• I have never been arrested and so never been in jail. That's not to say I haven't done anything that could have landed me there! I just never got caught! Good for you, turning a rotten situation around for the good. I'm done taking risks too. I stole a car about 15 yrs ago, I could have done time! I decided not to take up a life of crime because I thought of what it would do to my kids. I had 2 at the time. Shame on me! I know. I should have thought of that before I took the car. God bless you and your efforts.
    Anonymous

• I'm the topic started & all of you have been wonderful. Another question: how would you handle it it if one of your best friends [though you've only known each other less than a year] came & tell you she was Me & told my story. Would you shun her or be ok with it after talking? I have a friend I want to tell it to but am afraid. Yet it's hard to dodge certain topics constantly like voting-I can't; even going to a certain church's special events [since I stole from that church when I was employed by them which to me makes my crime worse]. I know I'd accept her no matter what but the one friend I confessed to never spoke to me again. Should I just let it go & not worry about saying anything? Not worth losing a friend over.
    Anonymous

• I was arrested once at 16 for shoplifting. There have been many other times that I could have been arrested for various other things. My SO is a felon. He has had 4 felonies, all for drugs. He is a recovering heroin addict. He has gotten arrested quite a few times and there have been many more times he should have been. My future FIL is in prison right now and has many felonies as well, my future MIL is a felon and has gone through federal courts. Obviously, I would be okay if my best friend was a felon, or had a record. People make mistakes. If you take the necessary steps to make things better and to change...that is what matters to me.
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:15 - I think you should go ahead and tell her, it sounds like you really want to. If she is a friend, it shouldn't matter what you have done in the past. She wasn't involved in that situation, you didn't do anything to her, so it shouldn't matter. If you tell her, make sure you also tell her about all the positive things you have since then...and maybe she will be as impressed with your efforts as all of us have been! :)
    Good luck girl!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2008