I would like to adopt my stepson.

Grandparents oppose it...what should I do?

Lori0911

Asked by Lori0911 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Adoption

• Only posting this so I can easily find this question later and read the answers.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt that could cause strife ive seen it happen
    Anonymous

• Assuming that the BM is not an issue or is out of the picture, I would contact a lawyer about your state's laws. In my state there is no such thing (legally) as grandparent's rights so it would not stop you legally.

If they do have rights then I would go ahead and hire the attorney to begin the process. If he's living with you, BM is out of the picture and you are for all intents and purposes his mother I don't see there being an issue.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• You just posted this 30 minutes ago saying your MIL had a problem with it...I think this is a troll ladies.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Musicmom - wouldn't this woman's MIL be the child's grandmother?
    Anonymous

• Regardless, it's an overpost, and kind of strange.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• musicmom - Not very nice of you to call her a troll. She just joined Cafemom tonight and asked her questions. You should appologize!

Lori0911 - I adopted my step daughter. I've raised her since she was 15 months old. Luckily I had everyone's support. I've since divorced her father and I got sole custody of her in our divorce. If the birth mother and your hushand agree with you adopting him, you should do it. You do need to check if your state has grandparents rights. Mine does not. I didn't go through an attorney at all. I got the documents online from my county court house, everybody executed them (including notaries), I filed them with the courthouse, paid the filing fees (it was only about $315 for me), then had a court date set. Both myself and my then husband had to go to the hearing. It took less than 2 months all together. It was the best thing I ever did. Good luck!
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 7:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Lori, if you adopt your step daughter then her mother becomes a legal stranger to her. As do her grandparents. I wouldn't want to be a legal stranger to my grandchild either.

What are the grandparents objections?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• how does the mom feel about it, does she have parental rights? Are the grandparents involved in his life? Are these his mom's parents?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with onethentwins. The decree of adoption legally erases the Original Mother and Family. I can empathize with family members who would not want this to happen.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010