I wanna change my daugther's last name to my current husband last name How to I start?

Shh28

Asked by Shh28 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• your husband has to adopt her
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If her bio father is around you have to make sure he is okay with it. You might also have to have him sign over his parental rights. I would contact a lawyer. Some will do free consultants and point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Her bio father is around but his in and out of Jail He's never had anything to do with her she's 7yrs. old and doesn't know him. I have full custedy of her but he doesn't wanna give his rights What can I do?
    Shh28

Comment by Shh28 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i agree, talk with a lawyer. some states strip parental rights after a certain amount of time of no contact/no child support but it varies by state
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If bio-dad won't sign away his rights, you can't change her name. Plain and simple.
    Anonymous

• You go to court to change her name. Nobody has to adopt her. Her bio-dad does have to grant permission though. He does not have to sign away rights unless she is actually being adopted.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• GO AFTER HIM FOR CHILDSUPPORT THEN SEE HOW QUICKLY HE CHANGED HIS MIND!!!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think you can change a name at any time but I would ask a lawyer. I have seen parents give kids all sorts of names....even last names that weren't theirs on birth certificates.
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• if the bio dad won't consent for you to have your daughters name changed, you can just start using the last name you want her to have and tell her school. i did that with my oldest son and both my cousins did that too. it doesn't become her legal name, but that won't become an issue until she's old enough to change it through the courts on her own.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 5:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Adoption must happen first.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010